Climbing toddler- time for todddler bed?

My just turned 2 year old son is climbing out of his crib everytime I put him in it. I have a toddler bed and can make the switch, as I dont want him to get hurt climbing out of bed, but his room is upstairs and he climbs baby gates as well. How do I keep him safe when I'm asleep?

mommyof3xy

Asked by mommyof3xy at 7:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm going to catch flack for this, but here we go... for a while, my daughter would wonder out of her room and start unlocking the front door... only for me to hear her as she was closing it. i ended up turning her doorknob around (because she would lock me out... psh) and locking it. this is only a temporary fix, though. they sell door chimes... anywhere really. if he opens the door, you will hear it.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• no flack from me Grace- Thanks ! I hadnt even thought about a chime, and how scarey for you with your daughter! Geesh
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 7:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I feel for you. Just a couple of months ago I brought home my brand new baby from the hospital, was healing from the c-section, and my 20 month old son learned how to climb out of his crib all in the same week. We moved him to a toddler bed so he wouldn't get hurt. He ended up climbing up his chest of drawers during naptime and it fell with him and landed on top of him. When I went in to his room to see why he was screaming the only thing sticking out from under the chest of his head. God was watching out for him because he was absolutely fine with no injuries and we had learned out lesson. His crib is a convertible and they are lower to the floor than a standard crib. My husband put the crib back together and removed the metal spring platform and we laid his mattress on the floor. Now the mattress is so low inside his crib that he can't climb out and he's now safe again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• No flack here either, Grace...sounds smart to me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I used a crib tent, they're kinda pricey but it did the job and held up for two kids, both climbers. They thought it was kinda cool too.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• wow how scarey -thriving mom- I can only imagine! Thanks for the advice- I will look at crib tents prices too :)
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 9:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• when they can climb its a sign the crib is no longer needed! as far as the concern on the stairs they sell at some stores a retractable babygate thats made out of cloth..its completely safe but makes it so they cant climb! i know a company online called onestep makes it too! i would look into that
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• oh I am really frustrated now- I have tried the plastic, wooden and I do have the mesh gate as well, and he has mastered climbing these/or breaking them. I watch my son closely, but he is a big 2 year old and a rough one at that. I would put him in the toddler bed, but he is one of those kids thats somewhat restless when its time for bed, and the containment of his crib is a comfort for him. He actually likes to get in his bed. Im afraid he will be up and down all night in the toddler bed, and I just dont have a lot of trust in the gates at the top of the stairs. What if he got over and went tumbling down the stairwell? Where I live I cant find a crib tent to look at, just what I see online and the reviews are mixed. I appreciate any and all advice :) Thanks- sorry Im crabby Im losing sleep over this
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 5:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• i had the same fear with my youngest...she was also a climber....i would try to put one baby gate on TOP of the other in her doorway and she would STILL get out! i finally had to break down and trust her...i put the baby gate at the top of the stairs...and she never once tried to climb it! instead she would come get me up! maybe i was lucky i dont know! lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2010