having a beer when breastfeeding.

Just gave birth to a healthy baby boy a few days ago and was wondering if its ok to have 1/2 or 1 beer when breastfeeding. I know people that have but I was wondering what the limit is. If its not a good idea then i for sure wont have any but a little beer just sounds good today after no beer for about a year. answers please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I had my first baby my discharge nurse at the hospital suggested doing just that. That was 9 years ago.
    Anonymous

• OP I have heard it makes your milk come in, is that true?
    Anonymous

• yes, the barley in the beer helps milk production. 1 beer takes 1 hr to get out of your bloodstream. if you feed your baby every 2-3 hrs you'll be fine to drink 1/2 a beer. :)
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• A lot of people are told that hops and oats can help milk production. IPA, pale ale, stouts, and taddy porters are supposed to be good for your milk. Stouts, even though they are darker, generally have less alcohol content. Guiness is an example.

6 oz of beer is not all that much alcohol and your body will most likely burn it off within 30 minutes- no need to worry about it leaching into your milk. If you have 2 or more beers, pump and dump and wait at least 2 hours after you have stopped drinking to nurse. Just to play it safe.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• If you are going to have one beer or one glass of wine nurse first so that you optimize the time between the alcohol intake and the next feeding.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• 1 beer a day while BF
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• UM... I thought it was after 4 hours its out of your breast milk? they actually have strips you can squeeze a little milk on to tell you when there is none left in your milk so you can nurse again. maybe try pumping and giving a bottle once so you can have your beer :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• when I was breast feeding, my Grandma recommended that I have a beer in the aftenoon or early evening to help the milk flow and relax me . SHe had three kids and she always had a beer. Her kids were healthy---one of them being my Mom. :-) SO I did on occasion and it was a good idea. Just one is good.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• One beer cannot put enough alcohol in your bloodstream to affect your baby. Your b.a.c. (and your breastmilk)will get to about 0.04%, and when the baby drinks that, it will be diluted even further.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 3:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• my dr., ped., and lactation specialist for BOTH births recommended 1 DARK beer a day... good for milk production. So not only is okay its dr. recommended :)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2010