can you fry food like eggs or pork chops with extra virgin olive oil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can, but doing so would be a waste of good oil. Once you heat olive oil to a certain temperature, all of its benefits are lost. You are much better off using a basica vegetable oil like canola. Olive oil is at its nutritional best when used for salad dressings or marinades or other dishes that don't require extended cooking times or high heat.
    Anonymous

• I do chicken cutlets with EVOO on the rare occasions that I fry on the stove top (I generally just bake them). I think the main concern is that EVOO burns easier than other oils so you have to keep your eye on it don't let it get too hot. In general most stove top cooking can be done with EVOO but deep frying with it is not a good idea.

Someone else can confirm or negate my answer though because I could be wrong.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I do basically everything in EVOO. Except deep frying.
    Anonymous

• Yes, but as the other ladies mention, watch the heat. Olive oil is reputed to be the healthiest of the vegetable oils.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I only use olive oil, even for baking. If I don't use oilve oil, I use grapeseed oil.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• i only use olive oil when cooking pasta
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• there are different olive oils out there...read the labels on all the different olive oils at the store and find the one that will say "best for frying" that is the one thats processed for frying so wont lose its flavor and its flash point is higher so you can fry without a ton of smoke!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2010