If your dh asked you not to breastfeed and as sincerely uncomfortable with it what would you do?

He's read all the research and studies and understand that it's best, but still really is uncomfortable with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would ask him to try and grow up and realize that the baby's needs come before his own uncomfortableness. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Do you want to breastfeed? This is something that you two need to sit down and talk about. Figure out why he's uncomfortable with it and that will be a good starting point in figuring out a plan of action.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Tell him to stop being selfish. My husband's family was very uncomfortable with me breastfeeding my children beyond 6 weeks. I found it to be ridiculous and annoying. I nursed both of them until they weened themselves (one at 21 months the other at 31 months). I think if this is the case with someone's husband, he needs to grow up. Obviously he doesn't understand it or just doesn't care...again, sounds very selfish to me.

Anonymous

• OP here:

I'm not asking for myself, but for my friend (she's not on this site). Just wanted to clear that up. I proudly BF my children. And dh thinks that is great!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't put someone's annoyance ahead of anything I thought was best for my child. When babies are in the picture, adult preferences drop to the bottom of the priority list.

Before DH and I got married we discussed kids, pregnancy, birth, and breast feeding. Had we not agreed at that time on those issues, we wouldn't have gotten married. Parenting choices were essential to why we made the transition from dating to marriage.

Some women pump and then bottle feed and the child doesn't take direct milk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Does he see BFing as something sexual. I would ask him point blank what is he so uncomfortable with and go from there.. He may need to grow up on this one and just do what is best for the baby IF you want to breastfeed.. If he has never been around it maybe it is the unknown he is "uncomfortable with" maybe breastfeeding in public or at someone's house or with others over at your house has him unsure how you will "cover" yourself IF he is worried about that also..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'd say that your friend needs to tell him to deal with it and step out of his comfort zone until he gets used to it because it IS best. And by the way, this is coming from someone who formula fed.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeed anyway. It's what's healthiest for your baby and that's what should matter to him.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Sorry. I am going to provide my baby with what is best..Remember its your body, that your baby & ur doing what is best for the baby!
    What does your DH enjoy as a hobby? Do some simple math for him. Figure up how much formula would be for 1yr & show him where else that money could go. Dont forget to add on cost for extra bottle & other stuff (i didnt own burp rags, only 3 bottle) And possibly more dr. visits ...
    (My dd is 3. She weaned at 20months but my DH still tells me how thankful he is for me breastfeeding. The guys at his work are always complaining how much of their money goes toward formula.)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I would do it anyway...just let him know when you're about to so he can leave the room if he wants
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010