My 5 month old won't eat....anything!

My 5 month old daughter has gone on an eating strike! She has only eaten a total of 6 oz ALL day. It's almost 9 PM!! I have called her pediatrition 3 times in the past 2 weeks and the most I got out of them was to feed her with a medicine dropper! She only weighs 11 pounds 13 oz. What do I do?

Aubreyjosmama

Asked by Aubreyjosmama at 8:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could she possibly be teething. The bottle may hurt the gums. Maybe try having her chew on a cold wet rag and then try to feed her.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Try teething tablets, and feeding her from a cup not a bottle.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• What stage nipple are you using? I noticed that my dtr got really frustrated when she outgrew the slow flow nipple and would give up really fast. When I switched, she ate much better.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 1:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Depending on her birth weight her weight doesn't sound that bad. Babies should gain at least a pound a month.

Could you get breastmilk from a milkbank? It tastes much better. There is a website called MilkShare and it connects mothers in need of milk with local mothers that have extra milk. Consider relactating. You can call a La Leche League Leader for free help or call a lactation consultant.

If your baby won't eat for long enough and becomes failure to thrive they may hospitalize your baby. I'm not trying to scare you. I have 3 children with a rare genetic disorder and they have been hospitalized as babies. If they want to hospitalize your baby and you have any choice in hospitals go to one with private rooms. It makes a huge difference. One of my sons was in for 3 weeks once when he was having trouble gaining weight.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I nursed for 6 weeks but my milk dried up. I pumped all the time, tried herbs that swore to increase my milk production and still was only making an ounce every 4 hours. Eventually I stopped making even that much and my milk was gone. so now she is on a speical formula for colic. Nutramegen. Due to reflux the docs put her on cereal at 3 weeks old so she has been on cereal nipples from the beginning. Today she ate 5 oz total. She is still alert but I don't know how a baby can survive and thrive on only 5 oz a day! I am just praying and holding on to faith that she will get better on her own. SOON! Obviously I am taking her to docs. She had blood work done monday and has a follow up to discuss the labs this coming monday. By the way...has anyone had to deal with Ubags for girls! They SUCK!!! I still haven't gotten a urine sample and they are NOT cathing her!!
    Aubreyjosmama

Answer by Aubreyjosmama at 11:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010