Do time outs REALLY work?

My 2 yr old is stubborn. She's going through that "see how far i can get away with" stage where she's testing me and my husband to our extremes. We try doing the whole "time out for each year" thing but she's only 2. Two minutes to her is like nothing...she's in the corner, doesn't move, faces the wall and then she's out. Not even five minutes later she's up to no good doing the same exact thing she got punished for. Its like a game for her. I know she's testing us but time outs aren't working. And you can't really take anything from her because besides her blanket(which she sleeps with at night for comfort) there's nothing she has that would be a great "take away because your bad" item. Do time outs REALLY work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids are different. Time outs didn't work for my first dd, she was and still is one to push the limits and learn the hard way. She would get out of timeout and go do the exact same thing to get her there in the first place. It works for my 2nd dd like a charm. She's my easy one. For my first dd, we always remained routine, warning 1st, then time out, and when that didn't work she got a spanking. Some kids, that's just what it takes.
    Anonymous

• they work with my 21 month old, but we don't just put her in time out. We raise our voices and say 'no time out, or we told you to stop now time out" and then we put her there and she always is upset about it, and we leave her there 45 seconds to a minute and then come over and she hugs us and we explain why we put her there. She doesn't like the lack of attention and that we are angry with her. Put her in time out though if you have her put herself there it becomes a game at this age, it is a punishment not diversion.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• if you do a time out properly it will work. you need to kneel down to their level and lower the tone of your voice. explain to them that they are staying there for 2 minutes(cause he's 2) for what he did. afterwards you go over to him, kneel down to his level and ask him why he was there, tell him he is not to do it again and then you immediately raise the tone of your voice back to normal and let the situation go
    Anonymous

• nope, not for someone that small
    Anonymous

• YES! It works on my 14 month old...his world is shattered if he has to set in time out. But we also do spankings to and I have finally resorted to time outs b/c spankings are like nothing now. Maybe try taking away a special treat like ice cream or something? Its hard but you have to stand your ground or your 2 year old will take advantage knowing your not serious enough. Good luck
    Anonymous