Why would some choose to get a 20 year loan instead of applying for a grant to go to college?

One man goes to community college through a government grant. Other man goes to private college and takes a loan for about $40,000.00.

The one who graduated from community college makes $80.000.00 annually and gets a home a car.

The other man who graduated from a private college got a job which pays him 60,000.oo annually but he will have to pay every month for the next 20 years to repay the loan he lives in an apartment and can't afford a car.

Why go through all this "pain" instead of accepting a student grant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• First off, as stated above, not everyone will qualify for grants.
    Secondly, not everyone wants to use Government money to pay for their schooling.
    Thirdly most people understand that grants are generally meant for those in the greatest need, I wouldn't take a grant unless I felt I was the greatest need, other wise I would want it to go to someone else who's need was greater.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Not everyone qualifies for grants.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Not everyone qualifies for grants.

I thought that having a good GPA would make someone illegible for a grant.op
    Anonymous

• Some don't qualify. Some aren't told that they can apply for them.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• grants, scholarships, and types of loans are all different and apply to many different people, in many different situations
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I didn't qualify for grants, and I went to a public university. I applied and got denied. Not everyone can get free money.

Nearly everyone can qualify for a govt subsidized loan program though. Borrowing interest free is the best some of us can do.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Maybe some people have some pride in providing for themselves and earning things instead of looking for handouts. Builds Character, something lacking in this country these days.

Anonymous

• I didn't qualify for grants because they said my parents made too much money. In reality they made money but had too much debt in credit cards and mortgage and ended up bankrupt! But because of that, I had to get a loan. Also alot people feel the private education is better in quality than the community college. In reality it just depends on the school. Some are, some are not.
    Anonymous

• I don't quailfy for any grants, Not everyone does. Who says because you pay student loans you can't get a house and a car that you can afford? My dad paid on his student loans and has a VERY nice house AND 2 ford pickups. Student loans are not that hard to pay off if you keep up on it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2010