What is considered EBFing?

Sooo a few months ago I posted something about how I was EBFing, I don't really remember what it was about now. Someone (can't remember who) posted back in a snide way that they'd like to know what my definition of EBFing was. I didn't respond because I am not in the habit of explaining myself to strangers who have opinions that don't matter in the least - especially not when they're being rude!

So I breast fed my son until 13 months when he self weened. He had formula on two day period after I had my appendix out on an emergancy basis and the doc said I had to pump and dump due to the CAT scan and the contrast dye. So he had formula for just that very short time. I gave him cereal at 5 1/2 months and baby food after that. He ate table foods around 8 or 9 months as well.

Do you only consider it EBF if they don't get ANYTHING at all but breast milk? Or is it still EBFing if you give them baby food and table foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think EBF is no formula (other than the extreme case you mentioned) but I think baby foods and solids are fine. Some people are just more extreme than others. I think it's crazy to give a child a purely liquid diet for an entire year!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• ...and yes I made the baby food myself from fresh fruits and veggies.
    Anonymous

• EBF = exclusively breastfeeding. It's not exclusive if they're getting other sources of nutrients. The 2-day period of formula I wouldn't count, but once you started feeding solids regularly, breastmilk was no longer exclusive.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010