What do YOU consider spanking? One swat on the butt or more??

Everyone acts like people who spank are child abusers. Usually spanking only takes one swat on a clothed butt, not a beating.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• once on the bottom more than that would be just a plain old beating
    MOMO628

Answer by MOMO628 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'm the Group owner of Moms who Spank. Honestly your going to get all kinds of opinions from one swat only as a last resort to bare bottom with many swats.

I think the most universal definition of a spanking is that the bottom is no more than pink and should fade within minutes. I've constantly preached to my members to use the least amount possible while still being effective. So if that is only doing one swat and your seeing results do that. No need to do more if you don't have to. No one likes spanking and if you do, your one of the sicko's.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Personally, I consider spanking to be hitting the bottom with your hand, whether it's one time or several. I don't think it's abuse though even though I don't spank. I don't spank because it doesn't work as well as other things for my child. If spanking works for other people, that's fine with me.
    Anonymous

• BATTERY is when you touch another person without their permission. I don't think any children give parents permission to touch them in a striking manner. What purpose does it serve? I've never met a person who spanked who said it works. They always say " I keep spanking him/her but she/he still does it". It is NOT effective. It only makes the parent feel like he/she did something which is sad. Instead of thinking of an appropriate discipline they lose their temper and strike a child to punish. Punishment is NOT the same as discipline. Spanking only hurts and angers the child. It ruins their self esteem and confuses the child as to wtf you are trying to teach them. Many parents that spank HIT the child to teach them NOT to hit! HOW STUPID is that? Parenting classes would be helpful for those who think spanking works. They should make parents take a test to have children.
    Anonymous

• Spanking can be more than one hit but not more than 5. It's not abuse when you swat you child on the butt with an open hand. A CPS caseworker told me that it is not illegal to spank a child with an open hand on his butt.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• BATTERY is when you touch another person without their permission

SEXUAL ASSAULT is when someone touches you in a sexual manner with out your permission. Does that mean that every time my DH grabs my ass when I'm not in the mood he's sexually abusing me?
    Anonymous

• Spanking is NOT abuse... God gave us the Rod as a discipline method, and not for abusive purposes... some kids need more spankings then others but it does not mean that it is abuse and there are other forms of discipline that some kids function off of better.. then spanking at least like my son is timeout and spanks, nothing else and he gets the point
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 9:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• my god doesn't want me to hit my child with a rod.
    Anonymous

• The "rod" the Bible refers to is not a literal rod...it's the rod of discipline.
    Anonymous

• to me its more about the crossing of a line and showing a lack of control that makes me say spanking is even one swat. as a child who was spanked, I've seen how easy it is for parents to go from a controled and "reasonable" spanking to using it as a catch-all, thinking that the spanking itself is the lesson without explaining anything to the child and the ease at which spanking becomes natural and defendable and takes the place of more appropriate discipline. maybe I was unique in how I can recall being spanked and how upsetting and long lasting the effects of it were...but that is a line I refuse to cross as a parent because I never for one second want my child to feel about me the way I did when I got spanked.
    Anonymous