What is considered EBFing? (PIOG)

Sooo a few months ago I posted something about how I was EBFing, I don't really remember what it was about now. Someone (can't remember who) posted back in a snide way that they'd like to know what my definition of EBFing was. I didn't respond because I am not in the habit of explaining myself to strangers who have opinions that don't matter in the least - especially not when they're being rude!

So I breast fed my son until 13 months when he self weened. He had formula on two day period after I had my appendix out on an emergancy basis and the doc said I had to pump and dump due to the CAT scan and the contrast dye. So he had formula for just that very short time. I gave him cereal at 5 1/2 months and baby food after that. He ate table foods around 8 or 9 months as well.

Do you only consider it EBF if they don't get ANYTHING at all but breast milk? Or is it still EBFing if you give them baby food and table foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's semantics. And not something to honestly waste your time worrying about.

Hard-core nursing moms would say you're only exclusively breastfeeding as long ass baby is ONLY being nursed AT THE BREAST.

Others will say as long as baby is getting NOTHING BUT breastmilk.

I think there's too much worry about labels.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• To me, EBF means only breast milk and not formula or juice or sugar water. I consider it to still be EBF if a mom is still BF after a child starts solid food, whether it's at 4 months, 6 months, or one year. I know other people think differently, but that's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, that's what I thought too. I also mixed the cereal with expressed breast milk, if that makes a difference.
    Anonymous

• I'm with anon.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• IMO, it is exclusively breastfeeding when the baby gets no other nourishment at all. Once solids or formula are introduced - then "exclusively" would be dropped and it would just be breastfeeding with solids or with supplements.

Anonymous

• i consider EBF to be ONLY breastmilk andn othing else. My oldest was EBF until he was 9 months then he started a bit of solids
    my youngest was only EBF for 2 months before i gve him formula here and there.
    lilchikkis

Answer by lilchikkis at 1:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• EBF can be exclusive breastfeeding or extended breastfeeding. Exclusive breastfeeding means the baby feeding directly from the mother's breast only. It is recommended until 6 months when the baby starts solids. So after six months even if your baby was only breastfeeding and eating solids you would no longer be EBF.

When your son got formula he was no longer exclusively breastfed. However, you were practicing exclusively breastfeeding until you started solids.

It would irritate people that know a lot about breastfeeding when you say your son "self-weaned" at 13 months. The World Health Org recommends breastfeeding at least 2 years. Whatever was happening in your breastfeeding relationship it was your responsibility to make the changes necessary so he would continue to breastfeed. It's not normal for a 13 month old to "self wean". I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to explain since you asked about definitions.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2010