My son only sleeps in his swing and is 5 months old. How can I get him to sleep in his crib?

Please could someone help me. I don't want him to sleep in his swing forever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same problem with my 4 month old. I wait till he falls deep asleep then start him in a pack n play then hope he stays asleep. Sometimes he does and sleeps anywhere from 2-7 hours in it and sometimes he doesn't. I figure if I stick with it eventually he'll take to it. I figure taking it a little is better then not all. Does he nap flat on the couch or bed, Boppy something? can Ayden does, so if he can nap on his back he can go down for the night flat on his back as well.
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 9:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I hurd that it is vary bad for babys to sleep in the swings, or even car seats for a long amount of time. So i would really try harder to get him in his bed. I'd just try and move him after he falls alseep. Or just dont let him fall asleep in there at all. hold him, and rock him to sleep yourself, this way he's already in your arms to place in his bed when he's sleeping. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• When he is sleeping pick him up and move him to his bed. He may wake up he may not. I had this problem with my now 2 year old(not with a swing but with a infant to toddler rocker). He did get over it and start sleeping in his crib.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My doctor told me that sleeping in a swing was fine. They are supported and on their back. If their comfortable and sleep let them be. They'll grow out of it with any luck.
    Anonymous

• My son slept in his swing when he was a baby too. There is nothing wrong with it and eventualy he will grow out of it. He wont sleep there forever
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 10:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• yes there is nothing wrong with them sleeping in thier swing..but if its bedtime for you then definitely put him in his crib because you dont want to leave him unattended in his swing anyway. It doesnt hurt them at all to let them cry it out a little..im not saying let him cry for hours, but that when he starts crying, as long as you know hes not wet or hungry let him cry for 15 min..then go in and rub his tummy or back but dont pick him up....once he settles down leave again, repeat another time if he starts crying...on the third time let him cry a LITTLE longer and then go in and pick him up...but AS SOON as he stops crying put him back in his crib... keep doing this! its going to be rough for a couple of nights, but i can promise you it DOES work...it did for both my kids!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with blueeyedgrl,
    Babies dont cry blood, it may mean a VERY long next few nights for u, but the safest place for baby is his crib, soon enough he will be too big for the swing anyway, at that point he will be even MORE used to it so its going to be an even harder battle to win. Start putting him in his crib for naps, dont transfer him when he is asleep, place him in there for naps, sooth him by singing, touching, smiling at him, show him its ok and that ur right there, let him cry, or scream, and if u have to walk away for a few minutes, My key was always wait until he started rubbing his peepers and yawning, once he hit that point it didnt matter much where he was, because he was tired, and soon there after he went to sleep. did u start putting him in a swing the first night or two, because he scremed his face off going into a big empty crib, thats how the problem usually starts. swaddle him, lay him down, its ok ma
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:17 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• It is very bad for babies to sleep in swings. Their heads can slump and cut off their breathing and they smother. Babies die this way every year. The baby's developing organs are squished together and can have problems developing right.

There is another problem called container baby syndrome. A container is a swing, seat, car seat, stroller, ect. Here is what I found on a website:

"When a baby is strapped in the container, his neck is immobilized, preventing him from using all the muscles needed to grow normally. This can delay crawling, walking, sitting or even speaking.”

Babies can have to have physical and occupational therapy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010