SAHM and miserable

I thought I would love it. But I keep finding myself irritable and down. I don't have anyone to watch our daughter at this time. She is 22 months. Do you think getting a job would be a better option than being a SAHM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Health

• I felt that way as a SAHM until I got involved with a playgroup. They take the kids to different events like home playdates, parks, zoos and children's museums...usually free or really cheap stuff. I found the group on meetup.com (searched under stay at home mom). I would be miserable without them! Plus my daughter gets social interaction and a diverse setting!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• possibly...sometimes being a SAHM makes you feel isolated. You could get involved with play groups where you and her can socialize. What works for one doesn't always work for others.
    Anonymous

• I think you should look into a home business. I sell Avon which allowed me to get out, talk to other women and take my daughter if I needed to. 20.00 start up fee. Message me if you want more information. Many other home businesses will allow you to have a social life and take care of your daughter.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• sometimes. but nobody will take care of her like you can. maybe get a part time job or something so you can get out of the house and do stuff for you, and be able to come home and be home with her part of the time too.
    I know when I just get out of the house alone, I come back feeling refreshed and I actually want to see and miss my kids!
    Anonymous

• Try getting involved in some community groups or activities! For example, if you like gardening, just do an internet search for "gardening groups in (your town)" or go to your city's website to see what kinds of things they have to offer. If you can find a babysitter here and there, try volunteering at a shelter (either animal or people!) or join a group like Habitat for Humanity. Sometimes hospitals will offer free classes for things like yoga, craft stores are always hosting "how-to" events. And they usually have something on-hand to occupy the kids. Has there been something you've always wanted to learn to do? Now's the time to start!
    You'll probably start to feel a whole lot better if you have a few activities to participate in, rather than feeling like you're just at home with the kid all day with nothing to do.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 10:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I know what you mean. I try to go to prayer group on wednesdays and get out and see family other days, have play dates, go to the library, etc... find out about kids activities. You may feel better as spring comes about, here. It can be really rough in the winter, but the sun can perk you up a ton!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• If you are so unhappy being a SAHM then get a job. Your unhappiness will rub off on your child and that's not good. Some women aren't happy being a SAHM and there is nothing wrong with that.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I say yes. I am so weird though because I have been a single mother for so long. Now I am in a situation where I really do not have to work if I don't want too. When I stay at home too long I get bored an want something to do. But then like now I am getting tired of working. My hours are long and my supervisor is , well she is less than nice. So I am now contemplating how much longer to stay. I do not want to be ungrateful because I got the job when we really needed the finances, not that we still don't but we are doing much better. Anyway blah blah blah, hope you find an answer on what to do.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• sometimes a job is a good answer but raising kids is tough. If you can afford daycare then consider it. It is normal to be down sometimes especially if no break is in sight. You need to do some things for YOU. Seriously, you need to get out, see a movie, get your hair done, just sit at a coffee shop and be alone. Whatever makes you happy. Also, are you working out or walking at all? That makes a difference.,also a good schedule helps.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Your child will need you much more between the ages of 12 and 18. Now is the time to establish your career and get a great jump on retirement and college savings.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2010