whats so bad about disposable diapers?

Today I read a couple of posts about diapers having chemicals. Anyone like to enlighten me on this?

this question is not for the sake of arguing, I just wanted to know a little about it.

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I mean sure they take up landfills and stuff... and there are scents and chemicals in the absorbing stuff... but other than that they aren't harmful. *shrug*
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Did you know you can recyle disposable diapers????.....Google it!!!! I'm serious!!!!
    Anonymous

• I've never heard anything about chemicals in diapers...the only downfall I see is that my kid alone is probably filling up a landfill...I hope these things are bio-degradable :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 10:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/diapers.htm
    read that :)
    Also:
    "Dumping human waste into landfills violates the World Health Organization guidelines and is technically illegal. Depositing feces laden disposable diapers into landfills creates a potential biohazard. There is the risk leakage which could cause the contamination of our drinking water with bacteria and live viruses. Fortunately, Landfills are fairly well constructed in North America and the risk of contamination is more of an issue in developing countries."
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Diapers are made from bleached fibers. The chlorine and other bleaching agents are potential hazards. Some children are VERY allergic to the whiteners. Diaper manufacturers are not required to provide an MSDS (material safety data sheet) and can withhold ingredient info as a trade secret. Not so great for allergic families.

Dr. Rosalind C. Anderson published a study linking disposable diapers to asthma development. Some of the plastics, bleaches, and fibers are known respiratory toxins.

Some diapers include: dye, fragrance, plastic, toluene, xylene, ethylbenzene, dipentene--- Toluene is in paint thinner and causes neurological damage when inhaled.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Aww well to darn bad my kid is still getting them.
    Anonymous

• There's also chemicals in cloth diapers too unless you get the "organic" kind.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• There are chemicals called dioxins in disposable diapers that is a known hazard to reproductive organs. They are definately not bio-degradable, it takes CENTURIES for one to break down. And yes, there are chemicals in cloth diapers, but Thirsties at least uses only eco-friendly dyes and none of the harmful chemicals to whiten their fabrics. I know because I worked for them for a while lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Wow, it seems like everything is a hazard these days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• no matter what happens, someone will always say we're putting our children in harm's way...lol. I personally would kill myself if I had to deal with cloth diapers on top of everything else. I am a full time student, mom to twins...who were premature...and therefore were lactose intolerant...so we had to go to bottles and formula....so i had to...and still do...clean out bottles CONSTANTLY...plus all the clothes and the housework...and homework, and preparing for lessons (I'm at the end of my degree program, which is elem. ed) and feeding the twins...yea...i don't have time to wash nasty diapers all the time.

I don't get the idea of cloth diapers being cheaper...you still have to buy the special soap and stripping stuff, and the diapers themselves are kinda expensive...just saying...disposable diapers are the bomb. :)
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 5:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2010