First hair cut- Is 1 year too young?

My sons 1st birthday is in a week, and I'd really like to get his hair cut because it's vary long. Is 1 year too young?

ness_033

Asked by ness_033 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It was for my kids. They didn't get hair until they were 2!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• No it's not too young. If their hair is too long in your opinion, get it cut. I got our daughter's trimmed about an inch after her first bday bc it was past her shoulders and getting knotty.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I don't think there is an age requirement on hair cuts. If your child's hair is long and you want it shorter then get it cut. My nephew had long hair from the time he was born and it never fell out. He had his first hair cut when he was just a few months old. My son had his around 1 year. Some people put it off longer because they like the baby look, some people do it sooner because they like it clean cut. It is totally a personal preference.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I meant if "his" hair is too long! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• One year is a pretty traditional age to get a boys hair cut. Just find someone who is used to working with young children.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The place we take our son to cuts hair as young as like 4 months or so... CRAZY! We got our son's cut right before his first b-day and we didn't realize how shaggy he had been til we looked at the before and after pics lol!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I worked in a daycare years ago. I remember a boy that had a HEAD OF HAIR in the infant room. By the time he was 1 year, he had already had 3 haircuts. His hair grew like a weed.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• it depends on you. I dont think any age is too young, if they have the hair to get cut lol. my daughter had no hair when she was one, however my son has plenty and hes 9 months lol
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Yeah our daugher's first cut was at 10 months. (I was soooo mad that SO did it himself when I wasn't home but that's besides the point lol.) We were going to get it cut anyways. It's a personal preference, there's no right or wrong answer. If you think it's too long and want it cut, go for it!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I gave my first son his first haircut (trim) at 6 months and I did his little brother first haircut when he was 13 months.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010