Is red a good color for a Kitchen?

We are looking to paint our kitchen, we have black & stainless appliances, and knotty birch cabinets with light colored countertops. The color we are considering is called "Quite Red" from Valspar.... I dont know the first thing about picking out paint colors so I dont trust my judgement very well :)

23wkrmommy

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 10:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• no
    Anonymous

• Red is the color of appetite! It'll look great!

Depending on the size of the room, you may just want to paint an accent wall. Look through some web images of red kitchens and see how they are organized. It always helps to find a room you like first rather than just wing it. Also, you and DH can be on the same page and there is no mind reading involved.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I love red... I want a red kitchen!
    I think, maybe, if it is a deeper red (kinda like a burgandy and not like RED fire engine clown nose sorta deal) then it would be cute :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• oh yes its a darker red, no fire engine/apple red's here, lol... thats a great idea to look up kitchens online, i dont know why i didnt think of that!
    23wkrmommy

Answer by 23wkrmommy at 10:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• We're in an apartment, so we can't paint ours. But our counters are a blackish, type suedo-granite, with white appliances. We're getting a red microwave, and probable a new red toaster. The other things like the coffee maker and such are black, I asked DH and he gave me the go ahead to let me decorate the kitchen in (are you ready for this?) Betty Boop!! I can't wait till it's done, even though it's going to take awhile to be able to get everything.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Red makes a fantastic accent color, but I wouldn't do the entire room in it, especially if you have lighter colored cabinets, countertops and floor, because the red will totally wash out everything else in the room. A better choice would be to do just the backsplash area under the cabinets or just one wall. Maybe you could paint a large swatch of the red on one of the walls and live with it for a while before deciding to do the entire room in it?

A friend of mine did her small kitchen in red and it was horrid - because red is the color of energy, having so much of it in such a small space made you want to not be in there for very long; it was just too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Well their is a reason why it's associated with appetite and it's used in a lot of pizzarias and other restaurants....it's promotes MORE eating. SO, it's up to you if you like the color, but lol, just be careful the color could cause you to eat more than usual.

Colors promote certain feelings and actions. Ever notice a lot of school classrooms are painted a pale blue? Because it's calming so kids don't act up, unfortunately it also promotes sleepiness, which besides boring lecturing teachers is the cuase of kids snoozing in class.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• thats a good point, i really dont want to promote more eating, lol.... what would be a good color to go with a lighter honey, golden tones in the cabinets, floors and countertops? I jsut want something different so its not all so monotone
    23wkrmommy

Answer by 23wkrmommy at 3:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• check out www.valspar.com or www.sherwinwilliams.com
    They each have a paint visualizer where you can test colors in different room settings. You can pick a picture already in program or upload your own picture. It's saved me a lot of $$ in paint mistakes.

As for your OP...I miss my red kitchen, but I had white cabinets so it really popped.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I have red cabinets and LOTS of red accents in my kitchen. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
    Anonymous