Did anyone else's kid start potty training themselves basically?

My 18 month old just decided "Hey, the potty looks neat! I'm gonna use it!" He loves to flush it. No treat required. He even woke up a few minutes ago just to go potty and get a drink (he cried for me to go get him and help.) He's only been wetting at nap and bed time... maybe once during the day at home if he gets to distracted... and when we are out 8/10 times he makes it or uses his potty chair in the car.
I'm glad its so easy!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yay for you! my 3 yr old (in may) has NO interest whatsoever with the potty...talk about frustrating!!!!
    Anonymous

• YES ! My son was 14 months and I showed him once how to use the potty and he realy didnt want nothing to do with it. Then a couple of days later I was sitting in my room and see him go running by but in kinda of like a sneeky way. So I quietly followed him. I peeked around the corner and there he was sitting on the potty taking a poop. He got done, wiped, flushed then pulled his pants up.
    I then jumped out and was jumping up and down clapping telling what a good boy he was and he has used it ever since.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My son didn't get potty trained until 2 months ago and he is almost 5! He also has mental disabilities which don't help but I am so happy he is now. My daughter on the other hand sounds just like your son! She is 22 months right now and almost completely potty trained other than nap time and bed time. I will be so happy when I don't have to deal with diapers anymore :)
    Congrats! Sounds like your heading in the right direction....
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• WOW yay for you especially so young! My middle child trained herself at 24mos. My babysitter said her daughter trained herself at 18mos. My first was the hardest OMG I thought he may enter kinder in pull ups! All kids are different! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Yes....we tried the potty training thing at 24 months for a couple days and she just didn't seem very interested in it, so we stopped (but left her potty still available). About 2 weeks later and not bugging her about it she basically just started going on her own. Like she WANTED to use it now....less stress I must say! OH and she is night trained also....I'm sooooo proud of my panty wearing big girl!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 1:32 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My daughter who's 18 months did this too... we just pulled down her diaper and let her sit when she wanted to, and by 17 months she was only pooping in the potty, and never having a diaper wet enough to need a change... We put her in underwear and have had a few problems since, but we're going to stick it out... She definitely knows what's what... I think she just gets a little confused because her under-two nursery class requires a pull-up. She's been in underwear for 2 weeks now and has no-accident days and lots-of-accident days, but I think she'll get there soon.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2010