If you're 100% against spanking, what would you do if your child ran out into traffic or did something equally dangerous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I was 100% against spanking I might have to make a one time exception
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Spanking him or her isn't going to make them realize that that's wrong. The kid will just think that yoru mad at them and care more about hitting them than explaining why that wasn't ok.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 11:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Candy cornnnnnn! You're back, I missed you darling.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• slap them
    Anonymous

• It happened with my 20 month old before, and I didn't have to spank her. She started wandering off the sidewalk towards a busy street. I called her name while clapping my hands-loud enough to startle her. She stopped in her tracks. I got down on her level and said very loudly (but not yelling), "NO! You don't go in the street!! That is a NO-NO!!!" That was a couple of months ago. Never had a problem with her going in the street again. :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I have to agree with ArkTech --- Any time a child does something that is not okay you NEED to explain to your child no matter what age he or she is WHAT they did wrong. If you do not do this the child will not know what behavior was disliked and may continue to behave in that way not realizing that it was wrong. If your child has run into the street I would have a sit down with him/her and talk about how dangerous it is. Go to your car and show him/her how little they are compared to the car, try hitting it and seeing if it is hard or soft, sort of like a show and tell...tell your child that it is dangerous and they could get seriously hurt and have to go to the hospital if they play in the street. If you have done this and your child still runs into the street even after you have discussed it you can say "I am sad that you ran into the street, I was scared you were going to get hurt, you need to take a time out now"
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 11:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I do believe in spanking but somethings, spankings won't get the message. I think love will get this one. Let them know the seriousness of it and they could get hurt, and then that would hurt mommy very much. I really don't see what spanking would do in this instance. Esp for a baby who knows no better.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• What's with the damn CANDY CORN!!!!! LMAO!!!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I do not and will not spank my children no matter what. Violence is never the answer and will make your children scared of you, scared to come to you. I know because my dad use to spank and beat my sister and I.
    First of all I would make sure my child is never near traffic and if they did I would explain to them how harmfull this could be.
    My kids are 6 and 5 and they know not to go running into the streets and I did not have to spank them to teach them this
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 12:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I'm not 100% against spanking, but I think SAVING my child from traffic would be the first thing on my mind, and then there's really not much point to punishing AFTER the fact, you know? Like, spanking isn't my first instinct, and after my child is safe they get a stern talking to and a HUGE hug and then we play inside the rest of the day lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2010