When should I start potty training?

DS will be 2 in April. DD is due May 5th. I dont know if I should start now or wait till after DD comes so he isnt getting a bunch of new things at one time.

MiSs.SmOkEy

Asked by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that you might have less stress and he might have less stress if you waited for a while. I have tried to potty train our son off & on since he was 18 months old. The last time, we decided to wait until he was 3. That's coming up soon, so we'll see how it goes. My niece didn't potty train until she was 4. I don't mind the diapers, but don't want the stress on him or us. At least now, he is getting more verbal (was a little delayed in speech) and is now getting to where he can pull his pants down and up, can tell me when he has pooped or is wet, and sometimes wakes up dry and he wasn't doing any of that 5 months ago. If your son isn't dry when he wakes up, he may not have enough bladder control and children tend to regress after a baby is born. If you are going to start, personally I'd wait until after the baby is a few months old & you are getting some sleep before starting potty training. Good luck no matter what.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Have you bought a potty yet? I received a good idea from someone...She bought a potty when her dd was 1 and had it in the bathroom to play with so she got use to it. Then slowly started showing her what it was for. I'm going to start that soon and my son is 17 months. Kids will only start when they are ready, but at least start introducing the idea and maybe it will just work out. Good luck to both of us!!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• there are some signs you can look for too to know if your child is ready...like not wanting to wear thier diaper, being able to tell you they went or have to go, interest in what you do in the bathroom...these are all GOOD signs that they are ready. But even if none of these signs are there still go out and get a potty seat, put it in the bathroom and let them see it, but do not force them to go on it. Some kids can be terrified of it at first and if you push it it will make it alot harder on you! Eventually your kid will get the idea, and want to try it! the WORST thing you can do is try to push your child to potty train. If they arent ready, the WILL NOT do it! Once they get the hang of it start using a reward system...like giving them a small sticker or candy (like an m&m) when they go. Hopefully this helps!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Unless your son is forcing the issue I would wait on serious potty training until the baby is in a routine. I would go ahead and buy your son a potty or a training ring now and let him sit on it before or after baths if he wants; getting him comfortable with the potty will hopefully make training go more smoothly when the time comes.

I bought a potty and a training ring for my twins before they turned two. At 2 1/2 my daughter has basically potty trained herself; I had intended to wait until after we moved, but she decided she was going to do it with or without my help. My son has just recently gotten comfortable with sitting on the potty, so I expect we still have a couple of months before he is ready to start real training. My older daughter was pretty much trained by 2, but she completely regressed after we moved; she was 3 1/2 before she was retrained.

Good luck!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2010