How can I get my 14 month old to stop hitting me?

My son only hits me, and I don't belive the way to teach him to stop hitting is by hitting him back. Any advise that does not include spanking or hitting?

Sami83

Asked by Sami83 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he'll grow out of it, cause i would hit him back. So that he will know not to do it. If he ever goes to daycare those kids are certainly going to hit him back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• There is a board book by scholastic i belive....it is called Hands Are Not For Hitting It is a cute LITTLE book that we use with the children at the preschool I work at...they use it for children ages 1-5 so I would give it a try. I would also try say No thank you, we use nice touches...can you show me a nice touch...and teach him to show you how he would pet a cat or hug someone....as he gets older and time outs can be used you can do 1 min. for each year of age and remind him I love you, we use nice touches, you hurt mommy and hands are not for hurting and I would let him sit there for his time....he may have to sit in a time out a lot throughout the day but it will help
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 12:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• never hit him back. That is going to show him that mommy hits so it must be ok. I would sit him down somewhere you feel is safe but not "fun", say no hitting, or you need to be gentle, and walk away. Come back in a little bit and if he hits you sit him down and walk away again. This hopefully will let him know you don't like to be hit and you won't allow him to hit you.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• also, when he isn't hitting you maybe you can encourage soft touching and explain how nice it is for him to touch you gently..he may remember how much you like gentle touching next time he wants to hit
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We do timeouts with our son. We have since he could walk. We sometimes had to hold him in timeout for the minute (one minute per year of age), but we have a timer with an audible beep so he knows when he's done. We then make him apologize to (he has a sign for it) and kiss the person he hit. We show him how to nicely touch people, which makes it cute when he pets us like he does the cats. We praise him for it, though! He doesn't often hit anymore. We also ask him what's wrong, and sometimes, he tells us. There's usually an underlying reason.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010