Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child tax credit and non custodial parent

I am the head of the household. I am also the custodial parent and take care of this child 100%. So my ex calls me today demanding my ds's ss number. I ask him why and first he does not want to tell me. Than he says because I am claiming him on my tax return. I said from what I know only I can do that 2 people living seperately cannot claim the same child. Now he keeps threatening me as usual when he cannot get his way. Mind you I provide a place to live for me and the child. He has never helped out and has not paid child support yet. I know if he was paying support he would be entitled to get something back but he does not and I honestly do not care I do not want it because it would be more trouble than its worth he barely makes any money anyway i can put in a few more hours of work a week and do better than what he would be able to give. I am in the process of filing my taxes a little late I know but he keeps harassing me

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • So my question is should I report this harassment? or maybe to the irs in case he gets a hold of his ss number and tries something? I already spoke to my tax guy and he said if hes not a custodial parent or in the system for child support than this would be fraud and mess up my taxes. I am eligible to get back about 4000. I cant believe he just wants to cash in on his son that he never supports or barely sees. Everything has always been about money for him and he still lives home with his mom. Im assuming this would be extra beer money he is looking forward to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • give it to him, then report him. seriously that's going to come back to bite him in his butt!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • Yeah, good idea! What a jerk!

    Answer by Adelicious at 12:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • Im doing my taxes electronically by tonight or tomorrow actually. My father says not to worry since once his number is in the system and then if he tries to claim him that will put a red flag up. Im just sick of his crap. Hes such a sleeze.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • Yes, I agree. But whatever you do, I would NOT give him your DS's SS#. And if he does happen to try and claim him, the IRS will know. That's how they go off of everything-everyone's (including your children's) SS#'. And I'm sure this is more common than you think, so I am sure it is pretty closely monitored due to the government not wanting to loose any unnecessary money!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • It would nto pull up a read flag, It would only tell him that your daughter is already claimed and he can't do it. I know this because I had to go thru theis whole issue with my grandmother claiming me. Just ignore him and file your taxes you have nothing to worry about anyways by the sound of it. He doesn't have the SSN.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • If he was to claim before me it would mess me up and legally he could get in trouble because I would ahve to take it to court. He already has plenty on him in court and shouldn't even be contacting me to be honest. He just dug himself another grave. I have proof the child lives with me and is supported by me through medical records, mail, etc. He lives with his mother and is a damn dependent of his own parents in some ways. How dare he even try to get a dime. I already spoke to someone and know all the legal advice. Thanks for answering.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • He can only claim the child on the tax return IF the custody agreement specifies that you will alternate years claiming the child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

  • There is no agreement there is no sharing parenting, no support nothing this is why I am shocked for him to think hes a right to anything. I pretty much live check to check with my child after all the bills are paid. I have a high rent living in NYC and this greedy dead beat wants a share. Haha.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Ideas for extra cash?

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Cps safety plan