I need ideas on how to loose weight.

So for my whole life I've been tall and thin (before I had my daughter I was 5'10 140 lbs) I'm now 5'10 and 240lbs. I look at myself in the mirror and I am completely disgusted with myself. HOW did I get like this?! I still have all of the weight I gained when I was pregnant plus about 20lbs, and guess what! My daughter will be 5 in May! Whenever I eat I eat until I'm ridiculously full, and I can't stop myself I just do it. I feel DISGUSTING afterwards. I try to exercise and I do for about 2 days, then I quit and try to play it off like I was too busy or something. Everytime I look in the mirror I say, "IM GOING TO LOOSE WEIGHT!" then I go and eat a bunch of food. Then I feel horrible, but it never changes. I'm to the point I don't even look at myself in the mirror anymore other than to fix my makeup and hair. I Just wanted some ideas on how to stay motivated. Anyone have this problem too?

sabree88

Asked by sabree88 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I read your journal post. It sounds like food is your security yet you hate it at the same time. This is a tough emotional battle, not just physical.
    I agree with rkoloms: you have to change what you eat and the way you eat. Don't skip a meal, 6 SMALL meals a day is great. I try to drink 1/2 my weight in oz. of water every day. Avoid sodas and sugary drinks including juice. Cut out "white" foods: white bread, rice, & foods made with white flour &/or sugar. Half of your meal plate should be fresh &/or steamed veggies (avoid corn, peas, winter squash), 1/4 should be complex carb (whole grain) foods & 1/4 should be a source of protein. Take your time eating, drink a big glass of water with the meal, & do NOT go back for second helpings. You'll feel hungry for a few days but you're not starving.
    Set a small goal to lose 5 lbs. When you reach that, set a 5 lb. goal again. To win the war you have to win the small battles.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Give up something..like soda or drink water instead of whatever you were going to drink. Do little things like that that wont effect you that much. Try to find an activity that is fun and not "work'. I just played Just Dance on Wii and I was tired after one dance. HOLY COW that's a work out! Do a dance video a couple times a week or just dance when you have the time!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I struggle with this, too. Frankly, I lack self-discipline. Like you, I get determined and start something, then give up. Lately I HAVE been walking regularly, which is good. But ultimately, I've come to the point where I believe only God can help me. Rather than try to make commitments to diets or exercise (which ALWAYS fail) I'm trying to commit to just ONE thing, and that's spending time reading and praying every day. During that time I'm praying for self-discipline. It is helping, but with a 6-month-old I don't always fit in my prayer time. I do believe that's the answer for me. Even if you don't believe in God, this is the principle they follow for 12-step programs, that is, that it takes a power outside yourself. That sure is true for me! Oh, and I've lost five pounds in the last few months.... It's not a lot, but it's good to know it's possible!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• One other thing, I notice my food inhibitions go down when I'm watching TV, so I'm trying not to do that!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I lost weight and kept it off with nutritional cleansing. You can see more info on my blog: http://simplecleansing.blogspot.com/

Feel free to contact me if you want more info or have any questions. :)
    mom2threets

Answer by mom2threets at 9:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Rkoloms has it.

change your LIFESTYLE! not just what you eat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2010