assuming people are Bi-polar

This is an honest question, not bashing anyone.
Lately I have been reading journals, questions, community posts ect and I keep coming across people who when ever someone does something crazy they state they are bi-polar.
Why do people assume this? Why bi-polar in particular?
I ask because I am bi-polar and it is a hard thing to manage but neither myself or any of the bi-polar people I know would do what these people do. It is add a horrible stigma to an already horrible condition.
People can be mean, crazy, horrible, selfish ect of there own accord with out being bi-polar. So why do so many people on here assume that they are bi-polar?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 3:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Health

• It all comes down to ignorance. Sadly what most people know about the condition is learned from television. I have dealt with it my whole life and still do not claim to be an expert. Since there are different types (I have type 1 btw) and everyone is unique in there struggle. All that hollywood shows is someone flip out and propose, then trash a hotel room then beat up someone they love (example taken from Degrassi a show that was popular in high school and the comparison all things bipolar btw) I have done things while having an episode that I would not have done otherwise (though since my episodes get severe enough that I hallucinate I am far from the norm) but I know what you mean. Anytime someone does something that is wrong people assume it is because they must be bipolar. It is frustrating but also a fact of life. My hubby doesn't even know barely anything about the disorder and he has tried at least to read some books.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 4:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Do people get tested for it or are there just certain symptoms to look for?

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing anyone on tv that was portrayed as being bi-polar, but then I don't watch a lot of tv and have never heard of Degrassi. lol

The times that I have heard about it have been through word of mouth (my friend's adult daughter has it) and reading about it on the internet. I've wondered if I might be bi-polar, but I wouldn't say that I am unless I really knew that I was. I certainly do get depressed though. I don't know why people assume they have it. Is there a really good website with accurate info on it? I'd like to learn more about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• There is no one medical test for bipolar disorder. There is some things to do to determine if it is. You should get a complete medical history and a physical (to rule out other possible causes), Psychiatric history, (the disorder tends to work in cycles of depresion and mania), and an evaluation of your currnent symptoms. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm has a lot of information on the disorder but of course its only a guide and to get an accurate diagnosis you need a psychological professional. Your work might have a program to pay for it even and if not insurance is accepted at almost anywhere. (oh and degrassi is a show that was on teen nick or the n or whatever. It ran in the 80's and then again in the 90's with the "next generation" its all about teen drama... not where you want your friends to "learn" about the disorder from trust me lol) If you have any more questions about it ask.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 6:22 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• because some people just decide its fun to be not nice to and about another person. There will always be mean people every place every where all of the time. Don't socialize with them, socializing with someone is a choice not a command or demand. having to work with someone who's mean I 've had to do that and it was lousy with out any doubt at all. I didn't socialize of chat converse with them I did my own work as best I could.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• any medical condition that affects mentality and together or separately any medical condition that the patient deals with well are both up for grabs to be rude about.

If taxes could be cut for individuals or family who prove physcially participating in volunteer work of any kind more people would do that and more people would be nicer to others.

Constantly rude people just rude in words and attitude always don't ever have to own up to rudeness so they keep get away with it. It's like trying to get a drunk driver or a hit and run driver, near impossible to bring that person to justice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Not sure. I guess it's the trendy thing to be now. Maybe ppl think it's socially acceptable for their bad behavior. My dd told me my son told her he was bi-polar. I laughed. He's never had a manic moment in his life. Not sure how they come up with their self imposed diagnosis.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• People want to use a diagnosis as an excuse for everything.That's why so many people are allegedly bi-polar, ADD, ADHD, OCD,ODD.
    Anonymous