HELP brestfeeding!!!!

I had my baby on thursday and really want to BF. This is my 1st baby. As of tonight my breast are extremly hard and hurt soo bad. I nurse baby every 2-3 hours but he doesn't always nurse on both sides. What can I expect for the next few days? Does the hardness mean my milk is coming in? They leak like crazy too, should I pump some after he is done nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, this means that your milk has come in! I know it hurts, but it will go away. You just need to make sure you keep nursing as much as your baby wants to eat. The hardness, pain and leaking will go away once your body gets it's milk supply regulated.
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Just keep nursing ON DEMAND - no schedule, that will help with the fullness you're feeling. I was told by my lactation consultant NOT to pump until 4 weeks postpartum, as it doesn't extract milk as efficiently from your body, therefore making supply all screwy. Also, if you pump to relieve pain, it will just make more milk - it is a supply & demand thing. Take a warm shower or put warm washcloths on your breasts, that should help. The thing that helped me the most, though was just nursing my baby. It will go away soon, tho! Hang in there, momma & good for you for breastfeeding!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• yeh, your milk is in.. you COULD pump to relieve some of the pressure, but then you'll have the same problem later... more nursing/pumping means more milk produced. its the body's way of self regulating and making sure baby gets enough. it will take a while for your body to figure out how much, them POW! baby goes through a growth spurt lol! it is NOT easy, and sometimes you'll want to quit, but it is doable, and in the end, you'll be SOOO happy for doing it. i breastfed my second for 2 years.. and with i had gone longer. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Put your baby on a eating schedule. This will help your body also regulate your milk. Also, pumping the excess milk now will help you later when your milk supply starts to deplete. Store your milk in the freezer and use when you are not able to nurse due to your schedule or for when someone else wants to feed the baby.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 8:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• No, pvtjokerus - NO SCHEDULE.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Do NOT put the baby on a schedule like pvtjokerus said. That is BAD advise for breastfeeding mothers. Feed on demand. One breast per feed for at least 20 minutes, if the baby then wants to take the other side offer it...otherwise offer the next feed. You can hand express to relieve some of the engorgement. Warm compresses feel nice too. Go to http://www.kellymom.com/  and http://www.drjacknewman.com/  for lots of info.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Momma I've been through this five times. Yes your milk is coming in. Your just engorged. Warm water is the best. When your that hard and sore it makes it difficult for your baby to latch. If you can take a shower with the warm water running on your breast great. If not then get a bowl of water as hot as you can stand put your breast in it. Very quickly the milk will release into the water and you will be able to comfortably nurse your baby. This usually lasts only about a week. BTW this was past down from My Moms, Mom to her to me, then to my daughter. Good luck dear.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Just nurse on demand in your supply will regulate itself within a couple weeks (maybe even sooner) and the hardness and discomfort will go away. You can pump to relieve the pressure, but remember that your body produce the amount of milk that is taken out, so pumping a lot will produce more milk and more discomfort. So, if you decide to pump, pump just enough to relieve the pressure (I never did this more than a few times a week). It sounds like you have plenty of milk. I wouldn't worry about feeding off of both breasts with each feeding. That's just going to stimulate even more production. I have had 3 BF babies and I feed off of one breast at each feeding. Keeping them on one breast insures that they get the hind milk.

Join the BFing groups here on CafeMom. They are full of good advice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I have to agree with those that said not to put the baby on a schedule. That's new advice that's very bad. Nurse on demand. I should say new since the introduction of formula, and doctors getting involved. Nursing on demand has been happening for many generations before. Also the one breast at a time the hind milk is very important. Feed on side till they are done or the on that side is done then if need be change to the other side. Again this is very old good advice. Our grandmothers and Great mothers etc, really did know what they were talking about.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• DO NOT PUMP. If you want to relieve the fullness you can hand express some of the milk. Pumps can cause plugged ducts and breast infections. If your breasts are hard and you don't know what you are doing this could happen.

Think about it - mothers have always breastfed their babies without a pump. I breastfed 3 babies and never owned a pump.

The other common mistake mother make is giving bottles. "I'll pump and give my breasts a break." "I want to sleep." "Daddy wants to feed." Bottles are bad for breastfeeding, bad for you, bad for the baby. They are bad at any time, they can ruin breastfeeding during the first 2 months.

I agree kellymom is a great website. For instructions on hand expressing go to google and type in Marmet technique.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2010