does anyone see anything wrong with having your baby a week earlier

sexybutter

Asked by sexybutter at 9:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Full term is anything after 38 weeks (some docs will go by 37 weeks) so having your baby 'a week early' is actually within the range of normal. Two of my kids were born early term- one at 38 weeks, one at 39, and both were completely fine and not considered premature.

I assume you are talking about induction and not just happening to go into labour a week early... the only 'wrong' I see there is that just because some babies are ready to come out at 39 weeks doesn't mean that all are, your body might not be ready for labour and hence might increase your odds of a failed induction or a c-section. Generally I don't think that induction for non-medical reasons is a good idea... but that's between you and your doctor to decide if you're comfortable with the risks.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My first was 2 weeks late then my last two were 2 weeks early due to c-sections.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 9:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Having a baby early just for convenience is wrong, but if the baby comes early naturally or there is a medical need to deliver early then it's fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• No not at all! My doctor offered to induce me a week early if my cervic is ripe. I had my first baby at 38 weeks on my own so Im hoping this baby come befor 39 weeks as well but if not then I can count on my doctor to induce so i dont have to be worried about being stuck at home while husband is at work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it if the baby comes on its own.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:17 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Babies that come anywhere from 37 weeks to 42 weeks are considered term.

Now if you are inducing without a medical reason it's dangerous because of the risk it's creates during labor, unethical on the doctor's part, and can put your baby at risk of actually being preterm since due dates are just a guess.
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong if baby comes on it own.
    Anonymous

• my 1st was 3 1/2 weeks early do to medical issues, and my 2nd was 2 weeks early (but i was going to get induced on my due day if she didnt come) but i dont see a problem having a baby a week early..
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• They schedule c-sections at 39 weeks. The only thing I worry about is if the due date is off for any reason. I was so big with my first one I begged for her to induce me at my 40 week appointment. She laughed. 32 days later he came and was "over cooked" Which isn't a bad thing, but he would've been fine coming out early. Why are you getting induced that early? I'm sure if your doctor is okay with it, then it's fine.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• my first 3 were all born and 39 weeks and my fourth at 38 weeks, nothing wrong with any of them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2010