Yard sale pricing?

I was wondering how you priced your yard sale items? I have tons of baby clothes that I am selling. Some of them are in very good shape. Like new. So I have some priced from $.25 - $3. And then the coats $5. I want all yard saling pricing advice, not for just clothing. Is there a website that helps? I don't want to charge to much, but then if I think something is worth it I will price it. I am also one of them people that if someone asks I gladly lower the price for them. Just to get rid of stuff. Thanks :)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• You may want to price slightly higher than you want to give yourself some bargaining room. It is customary to dicker. So if you would be happy with a dollar, ask $1.25, and when the customer asks if you'll take a dollar, you say yes and you are both happy. I don't know of a website although you can google. It may depend on the area. Decide how much you'd pay for a similar item and charge that.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster, and think your prices for clothing are reasonable! I usually set prices double to what I hope to get to allow for haggling--some do, and some just pay the price I put on the item! So it all evens out! :o)

One HUGE tip though--especially baby/child items--I WASH/CLEAN everything (that isn't brand new)--before I put it out, and I rent a few tables at a local party store for $3 each--setting and displaying clothing and small items in a neat and organized manner--by size, boys or girls items, and category--like infant, toddler, bath and body products, toys and games, clothing and accessories, home items, etc.

Having gone to many yard sales, I am more likely to BROWSE the messy/dirty ones but BUY from the clean and organized ones--where sellers look like they put some thought into it!

I also only sell the "good stuff" in my inventory, and never put out the "junk!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I never put prices on ANYTHING! I keep myself a list of things that I want to sell at over $1 (mostly for anyone else working it with me) and put out a big sign that says "Make Offer" I have found that people will generally pay more for things they want when they are making the terms. And I always have the option of haggling or saying no...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I like your prices for clothing. I agree to have everything organized very nicely. I hate having to sort through messy piles of clothes. I usually won't bother. Good luck!
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Your prices sound like good typical yard sale pricing. I would stick with those. Or you might want to have plastic bags and say "Fill a bag for $10" or something like that. I also agree on the organization. I know it's easy for those looking thru to mess piles up, i've also found it easier to look through baby/kids clothes if they were in big plastic totes for each size and season, with signs showing the sizes.

I don't agree with the make an offer...and not listing prices. It's a HUGE turn off to many people. They want to know straight forward what the costs are. I don't care if it's clothes, housewares, decor anything, if I go to a yard sale and there are no prices listed I walk away.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010