I do not have a pan big enough to cook the corned beef on the stove in.. does anyone have suggestions for maybe the crockpot?

I am making corned beef and cabbage for St Patricks day and I can't do it on the stove as normal. Anyone ever cook it in a crock pot? Does it still turn out good?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I made corned beef and cabbage about a week ago using my crockpot. I took the corned beef and the seasoning pack, sprinkled the seasonings on the beef and then put it in the crockpot with about 6 cups of water then I took a smallish head of cabbage and cut it in half and then took those halves and cut them in half again. add the cabbage to pot as well and turn the crockpot on low and let it cook all day. about 8hrs. I guess if you are short on time you could turn the pot on high and it would cook in 5-6hrs.

It was my first time doing it but it turned out great. My family loved it, youngest had 2nds and oldest who wasn't all thrilled at the idea of eating corned beef or cabbage commented on how good it was - hubby love it but then again he's pretty easy to please. GL
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• crock pot is fine- I do mine in the oven covered in the roasting pan, because I do a lot!. I still add water!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We ALWAYS use the crockpot. I stick it in and let it go for about 6 hours. I stick the potatoes in after about 4 hours and throw the cabbage in the last hour or so! It turns out great!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I use a roasting pan in the oven because I can't fit the meat & cabbage quarters in my crock pot. I also add water to keep it moist. My husband loves corned beef, we probably eat it twice a month.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I always cook mine in the crock pot and it's my families favorite. Put meat in the pot. Add about 1 1/2-2 inches of apple juice. Then another cup or so of orange juice. sprinkle the season packet that comes with the meat on top of the meat and then cover it with brown sugar (about a cup). It is so good. You would never know these ingredients were in it. It has the best flavor!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2010