If you had to feed a family of three for 2 and a half weeks on $100 what would you buy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't know, I'd have to create a meal plan, but off the top of my head here are some healthy, inexpensive foods.
    oatmeal for breakfast, not instant, but the kind you cook
    Eggs
    Frozen veggies
    Bag of apples
    Bag of oranges
    Bag of Brown rice
    carrots
    potatoes
    parsnips
    soup broth
    stew meat
    Various lentils and legumes
    Peanut butter
    Whole wheat bread
    garlic
    Whole wheat pasta
    Pasta sauce
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 2:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Pinto beans and tortillas.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I'd go to costco or bj's warehouse or sam's club and buy chicken breasts and groundbeef, maybe porkchops, a couple of heads of lettuce, liquid milk for cereal, dry milk for drinking - bj's warehouse used to accept coupons I don't know if they still do. If any one them do accept coupons then that's where I'd shop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I would get 5 pounds of hamburger meat for $10....they sell it at the store down the road called Aldis
    I would get the cheap boxs of mac and cheese which at Aldis are only 34 cents a box.
    My other grocery store in town sells 5 meats for $20 for I would get $40 worth of meat.
    bags of potatoes always go along way.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• hamburger helper, spaghetti, chicken
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You doin better than us . We usually get about 30 bucks a week .
    But I would probably get a big bag of potatoes ( tons of possiblities there )
    Hamburger Helper
    Hamburger
    Frozen veggies
    Bread
    Milk
    Cheese ( shredded and sliced )
    Tortillas / Taco seasoning
    Cereal
    Peanut Butter
    Jelly
    With just these few things , which you proabably already have a few of them you will have a bunch of different meals.
    Soft Tacos
    Hamburger Helper
    Meat loaf / mashed potatoes / veggies
    Hamburgers / french fries / veggies
    You get the point , Just a few ideas . This is usually what I do .
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• If you're not a member of any of those clubs don't join -BJ's you didn't used to have to be a member to shop there but they'd add a percentage on to your puchase to compensate for not being a member. I'm not sure if Costco or Sam's club lets non members have day passes or not. Pathmark Supermarkets sometimes has decent large packages of meats. Foodtown Supermarkets takes coupons like Pathmark does and maybe a warehouse supermarket does, But At Foodtown you build points for certain purchases in large amounts (buy this product earn 100 extra points or 50 extra points or 200 e p) BUT YOU ALSO build points and can buy Foodtown gift cards with those points and use them that day of purchasing the gift card to help bring down cost of entire purchase. ALSO THAT DAY if you buy yourself from your points earned, a Foodtown gift card and use it that day you STILL earn points on products you buy to build up points again for anotherday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Also at Foodtown (and no I don't work for them but the points and coupons are great great help) you can use points to bring down the cost of different specific products.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Things that can go into multiple dishes or is cheap for alot:
    Potatoes
    Pasta
    Bread
    Cheese
    Oatmeal
    Peanut Butter
    Pancake mix
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I would go to hillbillyhousewife.com. They have GREAT suggestions. I once had to feed my family of 3 on $80 for 2 weeks. No problem with her ideas. My third was a year old, so almost didn't count.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2010