My 6 month old can already crawl, and pull up.

Im scared that he is going to get caught in his bumper, or fall over to the side and crack his skull open. fall OUT of the crib. I mean, he is 6 months old, I was NOT prepaired for this. is there a way I can get him to STOP pulling up and standing in his crib?

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 11:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would you want to stop his development? You just need to lower his crib mattress a little bit. Coming from a mom with a child with developmental delay... just be happy and grateful he's doing everything so early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I completely understand. At six months old my youngest was climbing the stairs (gate up!) and crawling over to the sofa, pulling himself up on the exersauser (that was scary!!! We didn't have the legs down to stabilize it!) He jumped (FELL) out of his crib ONCE and then never did it again. He is now 18 months old (whew! survived himself so far!) and he thinks it's a blast to climb OVER the gate and run upstairs (scares the crap out of me!) climb my couches and chairs, stand on his toy box, jump off laundry baskets and the couch and he even attempted the kitchen table. Few weeks ago he figured out how to climb his brothers bunk beds. Where am I in all this RIGHT THERE! I don't take my eyes off of him! Baby proof where you can, and otherwise just be there for when he falls.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• we are almost there with my youngest son. he just got comfy with sitting all by himself w/o help or support. He is almost got the crawling thing and he loves to be pulled up to stand and bounce like crazy. Just go with the flow. Lower the crib mattress and keep a very close eye on your little one.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• O.P here, its not that I want to stunt his development, I understand that every baby developes at there own rate, however I do want to make sure That I am taking the right procautions in protecting him. You must understand my suprise when I walked in to my infant sons room to him standing there with a big grin on his face. it scared the hell out of me. I can already tell, this little one is going to be a handfull and a trouble maker. what im asking is if there is anyway to get him to clim on ANYTHING other than the crib, because I dont want him to fall to the side and break his face open, Im pretty sure if I went into the ER and my sons face was broken open, and I said, "He was standing in his crib jumping, lost his footing and broke his face open" they would think I was lying and call the cops.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Take out the bumper. I am pretty sure they aren't safe anyway.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• There isn't anything you an do other than to remove the bumper and lower the mattress. The only other alternative is to let him sleep elsewhere on the floor in whatever room you happen to be in so you can keep a closer eye.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• OP doctors have a way of telling if injuries could have happened the way you said and if they did call CPS on you a caseworker would come out and talk to you and your baby could show them what he can do and they wouldn't worry too much. Most kids who fall out of their cribs don't break their faces open. My 10 month old just stood up in his high chair today and fell out and aside from a red mark that was gone within minutes he was fine. Falls happen. I've had a lot worse happen to a child and CPS was not called. Lower the mattress and take out the bumpers(they can be used to climb on).

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Just take the bumper out. He will not be able to climb over the side yet. It would be next to impossible for him to seriously injure himself by just falling over inside his crib.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2010