I noticed my 11.5 month old rocks back and forth a lot. she has nice social skills and is emotionally connected, however the whole rocking thing stresses me out! any thoughts?

blakeysmom171

Asked by blakeysmom171 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some kids do this as a means of self soothing. Dont panic yet mom. There are other signs of autism and if your child is not showing those signs then its probably nothing.

Just enjoy your child ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I doubt you have anything to worry about. If she starts losing social skills...like eye contact, responding to name, stops saying words she has learned, ect... then I would have her checked out. Other than that, a little rocking is probably just fun for her.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 12:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• If it helps herself calm down than accept it. There are going to be things your child does to drive you crazy that isn't harmin themself or anyone else and that is when you just have to accept it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My friend's child rocks his head side to side. It freaks me out, but it is a self soothing method. He's now 7 and perfectly fine. I'm sure your baby is fine. I understand the worry, but it will be okay.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My second son would rock back and forth right by a wall so that his head would hit the wall. We would try to put our hands between his head and the wall and he would move his head so that it would still hit the wall. Kids do things like this. If you are worried bring it up at her 1 year checkup but I don't think there is anything wrong with her.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My dd (who is now 6) did this until she was about 18 mos. She would rock whenever sitting against something, and she had to rock herself asleep in her crib. We would hear it banging against the wall every night. LOL I asked my ped all the time about it, and other people would always ask me if she was ok. It was just her way of self soothing, and i think she just liked to rock.

She is a perfectly healthy 6 year old girl now. She basically grew out of it..
    Don't stress over it, just keep an eye on her and mention it to your ped.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• both my kids rocked themselves back amnd forth at that age! At age 3 or 4 if she is still rocking back and forth like that get her chekced her out!
    liltinymommy

Answer by liltinymommy at 9:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• she's just figured out she has rhythm =) she's got so much more control of her little body now and is aware of feelings (like stressed or sleepy or bored) that she couldn't express on her own before. have you tried rocking her in your arms when she does this? sing little songs to her, she wants to dance!

LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 7:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2010