Would you look down on me, honestly, please?

I'm under a lot of stress. Especially after this weekend. You can read my journal if you wanna know about it. It's like everywhere I turn there is stress. I know that's common for most ppl, but my body or something doesn't seem to know how to handle it. I hate how I feel when I'm extremely stressed. I feel like I need pills to calm me down. I think I might have anxiety attacks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pill popper, so I'm not just trying to get meds. I wanna go to the doc and try to get something but my friend said it would be on my permanent record. Okay, I don't think this is a big deal. This is something I can't control and I'm wanting help w/. Is this bad? Why would ppl look down on me for this? Please give honest answers. W/e you are thinking, I would like to hear. Thank you.

cyber-pg

Asked by cyber-pg at 11:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Health

• I would never look down on you for that, but I suggest you find other ways of distressing before you reach out for the pharmaceuticals, the side effects or your health is not really worth it

Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Seriously? Your friend has never had an anxiety attack then! Girl go to the doctor and see if they can help you! Don't worry about what she or anyone else thinks. Yeah it'll be on your permanent MEDICAL record....who cares? Take care of yourself so you can be the best woman and mom you can be.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You should go to the doctor and they will give you meds that will help.
    My mom has bad anxiety attacks and the doctor gives her xanax for it. It has helped her alot and no one considers her a pill popper. Plus you do not have to tell anyone what you take to help you with this. GO to the doctor.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 12:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• And I agree with older too...medications aren't good for your body at all so if you can find other solutions..even through a counselor that would be highly recommended!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with Older. I think daily meditation and exercise would do wonders for you. But if you need to see a doc, then do it. You need to be the best mom for your kids that you can.
    Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I have anxiety and it does feel like everywhere you look there is stress. You maybe get scared of things. Or small stresses can seem like big ones. I when to a psychologist who diagnosed me with anxiety, and taught me breathing techniques. These you can do while doing the dishes...not everyone has time for meditation and exercise with a little one running around. My doctor then prescribed me Citalopram which is a light anti-anxiety med that you can't even tell you are on. No tiredness or "drugged" feeling like you can experienc with zanex (I take that for plane rides). I was only on the meds for 6 months and I could get off them. Now I know how to tell when I'm getting to the breaking point and now I can relax myself because I know it's "just" my anxiety. It can be really scary. Trust your doctor and tell them exactly what you are going through. I would ask for a pill that will still allow you to function. hope that helps!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Don't worry about what other's would think of you.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You do what you need to do. Like the PPs said, meds should be a last resort, but if you really can't find anything else that helps, go with the pills. I avoid psyche pills because I see people go down a long road of psyche meds. Having said that, I have been on antidepressants for about a year (I ended up weaning myself off without doctors orders because they didn't make a difference anymore, and I was finding other ways of coping, but I think a lot of people who start end up on them for the rest of their lives.) And good luck, mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Do not worry what others think take care of yourself! maybe you can join a support group get some exercise or find someone to talk to it helps and why would anyone look down on you for addressing this issue and taking care of it? I would not it happens sometimes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I’ve friends and family that have had problems dealing with stress and anxiety or even depression medication was needed; only your doctor would have an answer if it is.

I have not, nor will I, read your journal, however the only time I'd advise another person to 'not' get depression medication is if they are undergoing a vicious divorce or custody battle where such medical records could be disclosed in court to evaluate your stability to raise your children. It's not fair but I've heard of cases where such a thing has been used against a person to make them look unstable. If you’re not going through something like that then I would go ahead and talk to your doctor; getting help is better than suffering. If you are going through something like that then I would try to find a relaxing class, stress counseling group, or confide in a very close personal friend. Good Luck!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010