What do use for your dog as a preventative flea control and what month should I start?

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I usually do a topical only a few times a year, in the summer months. Other than that, I use a natural spray for fleas and ticks when we go hiking or are going to be out in areas we need to really be concerned with. I really do not like using topicals at all, but have found the Advantix to work well when I feel I have to use it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• we use a shoulder blade flea tick medicine and put it on monthly all year long as per our vet and where we live and to kill and control in house fleas ticks our vet suggested putting otc flea collars in our vacuum, that would kill swept up fleas and ticks fast.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We use Advantix only in the summer and early fall when the fleas are bad. I agree with KTMOM, I don't like putting those chemicals in the dog's body. I sell Avon and we tried using the SSS bath oil because I sell alot of it to people for flea control on dogs and horses but we didn't like the smell.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Flea collars, and Advantage. I had an ex that used to feed his dog garlic every day and swore up and down she never had fleas.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We use Frontline Plus. It works great. I start to use it in the Spring when the weather starts to warm up and use it through fall. Most vets recommend you use it year round, but I think that's more to stay in the habit of it.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Frontline, Revolution, Advantage,Comfortis,Advantix are all good products. DO NOT buy any of the over the counter products they are dangerous to use on animals. I use it year round because i have animals that are allergic to fleas. It really depends on your area, but you can find fleas any time of the year. A lto of people wait until it warms up but if you have not gotten a cold enough winter then i would go ahead and start.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I use Frontline PLUS. It works awesome, for ticks too! (If they're mainly/strictly outdoors, you can bathe them in a skin-so-soft bath every few weeks 1/2 cup along their spine after soap, then rinse... will be greasy for a few days) I also salt my carpets--- you can look up simple sprinkle on, vaccuum off methods, and if you have your dogs in a kennel at all, I would put one of those 50lb salt blocks in it next to the doghouse. (Find them at any local feed store for $5-10) the rain will "disolve the block, but the residue works GREAT for keeping fleas away from the dog house and bedding.

FYI to everyone with pets, Skin-So-Soft (avon product) works GREAT for a flea, tick, chigger, and fly repellant too! For your horses, goats, dogs, etc. Even yourself if you're out with the chiggers!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We've never had a flea/tick problem so I don't use anything. We keep the grass cut short and treat the yard regularly. I check my dogs for fleas/ticks every other day so I'm able to remove them (if they happen to get one) asap. They are also bathed once/week. Plus, Lyme disease (what ticks are bad about carrying) isn't an issue where I live.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We use Sentinel for our heartworm preventative. Sentinel has a flea "birth control." So it won't kill the fleas, but keeps them from breeding. Then in the summer, usually starting in April or May, I will use Frontline Plus for ticks and better flea prevention. I'll use that until about October. My dogs are on the low end of the weight limit for Frontline so I reapply every six weeks rather than every four.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2010