How to do shop healthy and cheap.

I'm having a hard time shopping. My husband will go to the store, spend $80 and I still have nothing to make for dinner.

Please give me good tips on HEALTHY items I can buy and last us a couple weeks. I'm not talking lasagna and hamburger helper...we've been there!

Also I was not born a good cook. Does anyone have a good website or cook book??

Thanks!

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Health

• When you make your list write down what you'll make for dinner each day, then base your list off of that and get whqat you need for each meal, then simply add snacks, breakfast and lunch items to the mix. I do all my shopping at Aldi's and Save-A-Lot and buy frozen salmon fillets, chicken breasts, lean beef, steaks, turkey breasts, ham, you name it they have it. The meats are good quality and you can't beat the prices. DH and I LOVE the Salmon and eat it once a week. I marinade it and grill it, sometimes I break it up and add stir-fry veggies to it. For "Fish Fry's" I buy the unbreaded frozen haddock and lightly bread it myself and bake it, much healthier. I buy the big bags of frozen chicken breasts and make grilled chicken, stuffed chicken, tacos and other recipes.

I get bags of frozen broccoli and other veggies, healthy cereals, whole grain breads & pasta, etc. etc. And I only spend about $40-$45 a week for 4
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I suggest shopping at Aldi's and Save A Lot also. I shop at the local grocery stores but only buy the items on sale on the front and back of the flyer. Those are the items truly on sale. Buy the family packs and eat the leftovers for lunch later in the week. I like the cookbook Dinner Doctor by Anne Byrd, because it uses items bought in the store and I am often in a hurry.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• What kind of seasons do you use with your salmon? I love salmon, but it's really expensive where I live.
    Also, does your husband eat a lot? My husband looks at a 6oz salmon filet, brown rice and veggies as an appetizer.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• The best suggestion i heard for shopping healthy is to shop around the perimeters of the store. This is where the fresh stuff is, if you think about it. I shop at WInco 'cause it's the cheapest place. I just spent $250 on groceries, and that was just for staples for two people. Bleh. I don't get to the grocery store very often. But I get lots of whole grains in bulk and try to get lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Nope, my husband eats regular serving portions, my ex would have eaten double as well. But the salmon comes 4-5 fillets per frozen bag, and each bag is $3.99. I typicaly use a sprinkled on salmon seasoning or marinade in a low calorie salad dressing....i've also used crumbled up french's onions as a breading on it before as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• At my age (old) I'm just learning to cook. I raised my children on fast food (not proud of that). Now I go to the grocery and buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I buy frozen fish (buy one get 2 pkgs free) or meat when it's buy one get one free. Winn Dixie is great on having those. Get online and check flyers so you don't waste gas but make a grocery list of what you want then stick to the list.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I've learned to always have brown rice (instead of white rice) around. I can throw in a can of beans or if i want more I can add meat and vegetables. It's cheap, healthy and easy to make. I bought a rotisserie chicken the other day (at the end of the day they are marked down) and made 3 meals out of it. I live alone so I know you can't make 3 meals out of one chicken but the point is that there are great deals out there.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010