I just found out my ex is letting our 16 yr old daughter drink non-alcoholic beer. I think its wrong any thoughts?

He and his family has a history with drinking.

igb2

Asked by igb2 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it sucks, but when I was 16 my friend's dad bought us real beer. I would really put the kabosh on it. Plus, getting your daughter use to the taste of beer that young is definitely wrong. He said ward her away at an age when kids start having parties. Yeah...the more I write the more i just don't like it.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I think it's wrong too. It sends a bad message and alcoholism starts early and continues on in this kind of family and environment. I get to battle this one too when my kids get older. DH's family can't put down the bottle or beer for anything.
    Anonymous

• I'm not really sure that is a good idea, for a start those things taste horrid! lol Ok but seriously, it could give DD the impression that if the non-alcoholic stuff is alright to drink, that the real thing would be fine too.

I had always wanted to let my DD actually drink enough to get drunk, so she could see how much was too much. If that makes sense. I wasn't a fool to think that she'd never be at somebodies house where they were drinking, she's too much like me. But I would've wanted her to know when she'd had enough. You know that point when you know that next one is going to push you over the edge and loose control of yourself completely?

But we never did, even now at almost 21, she's not much of a drinker.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I'm guessing that your daughter already knows about the drinking and family history. Kids are smart and she should know.
    Just talk to her and make her understand that she is growing up and she is smart enough to make the right choices.
    Our kids grow up so fast!
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I understand why you feel that it's wrong, but since he is giving her non-alcoholic stuff says he is aware of potential problems and is concerned. If you make to much of a fuss, he may just give her the real stuff. People with a history of alcohol issues do not know how to have a good time w/o alcohol, so I'm thinking he is trying to have fun with his daughter. I would be concerned with the idea that you can not have fun w/o alcohol.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Non-alcoholic beer tastes like crap, but as long as it is non-alcoholic why is it any worse than letting her drink root beer? She is old enough to read the label, and old enough to know it is not real beer, so if she wants to drink the horrible-tasting stuff, let her. It's better than him giving her regular beer.
    Anonymous

• Is he training her to acquire the taste for beer for when she's older? He's an idiot. Remind the moron that if she's drunk she could get in a wreck or get raped without even knowing what happen. Nice dad (that's sarcasm)
    Anonymous

• I personally don't agree with it, especially given the family history, however there probably isn't a court or lawyer that could fight it given its non-alcoholic.

I have a friend that allows her daughter to drink non-alcoholic beverages, and like a PP pointed out if you teach your child to view them as being like root beer. Maybe twist it around to encourage her to only want the non-alcoholic version by educating her on the dangers and stupidity of the alcohol she may only ever go toward non-alcoholic drinks. Try to teach her at home about how horrible alcohol can be, but if you dog and belittle what she’s doing at her fathers when she’s being encouraged there then it could cause her to rebel and ignore anything you have to say that’s against alcohol altogether.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My step dad let me have sips of his drinks, normally mixed stuff. I tasted beer, didn't like it. I live Pina coldas and daquirs

I never was int he drink seen and The last alcoholic drink was October 31st 2009 and It had two sips of it. Before that..... It was a year exactly and I did the same exact thing.... I don't like alcohol. It tastes gross and burny.
    Anonymous

• Non-alcoholic beer is just like drinking any other non-alcoholic beverage.
    Anonymous