Do you drop your teen off at the movies?

My son is a very innocent 13. He has a friend who is also 13 but is allowed to roam freely. The boy asked if my son could go to the movies with him and his slightly immature 15 yr old sister. He told me his mom would be chaperoning the trip. I said yes. So I call his mom the day of and to get the details. I learn then that she was only planning to drop them off and not stay. We live in soCal, the L.A. area, so this is a major city. I do not feel ok with my son out and about without a parent around. Anyways I told him he couldn't go. He was fine with it - he's very cautious with his safety as well. So my question is would you let your 13 yr old be dropped off??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No, 13 is way too young I think, I dropped my kids off when they were 15 or so, and even then I had a problem, but we need to give them freedom with the ability of pulling the reighns back in if need be. I am with you on this one, specially in LA

Answer by older at 1:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• probably not...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I don't have a 13-year-old yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd be with you on this one!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I don't have a teen yet but when I was a teen my mom would let me go to the movies and other things without a parent around. I live in San Antonio TX so it is a big city. Go with what you think is best for your child and if he is uncomfortable about things like that I would say don't let him do them. A child who is nervous about being without an adult will show it on the outside and may get approached by a stranger or worse. A nervous person is what some predators look for.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We would let them take the bus or go by themselves. They are now both 16 and 19
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• When my 13 yo dd goes to the movies a parent is always there. Sometimes I don't sit with them But I am in the theater.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• At 13 they always had a parent around at the movie or the mall. At the movie, 2-3 rows back to keep an eye on things & at the mall, in the general area so that if there was a problem a parent was available.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Yes, I drop my 13 yr. old off with friends and pick him up at the movies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Nope. Even my older kids don't get to go to the movies without an adult. Especially if they're talking about a boy and girl get together, lol!
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I think it would depend on my child. If I had a child who could be trusted to not do anything "stupid" then yes but if I had a very immature child or one who thought they was grown then no.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2010