Would you give the OK to the Doctor to prescribe you off-label medicine?

I recently came to know about this term "off-label". My friend is giving his child an off label medicine. Would you let you or your children take an off label prescription?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Health

• I've never heard of it, is it another term for Generic?
    Off-label use is the practice of prescribing pharmaceuticals for an unapproved indication.[1] In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) reviews a company's New Drug Application (NDA) for data from clinical trials to see if the results support the drug for a specific use or indication.[2] If satisfied that the drug is safe and effective, the drug's manufacturer and the FDA agree on specific language describing dosage, route of administration, and other information to be included on the drug's label. More detail is included in the drug's package insert.
    Anonymous

CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• If you mean generic than yes it is perfectly ok. Generic medicine has absolutely the exact same molecular compound. Generic medicines are exactly the same as the real ones, generic medecines are made once the rights reserved period from the FDA expires for a certain brand, means other companies can create it as well and sell it cheaper.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Yes, actually I'd prefer, I always find out if there is a generic alternative because my copay for generic is $25 and my copay for brand names is $50. They are FDA approved, same stuff - different name.
    Anonymous

• I'm all about generic. I never buy Tylenol, I buy acetominophen. Pharmacists here in Canada can actually substitute generic Rx's when they become available without having to have a specific Rx from the Dr. There have been times I've gone to pick up one of my hubby's Rx's and had a generic version substituted. The only difference is that I'm no longer paying for the name on the bottle, it's the same med just without the name. Why pay more for the exact same thing? I've got better things to spend my money on.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Medicaid generally only pays for generics unless the doctor feels that the name brand is necessary.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010