ceramic tile backsplash question.

We bought a home and the kitchen has great cabinets and space ..open floor plan which is wonderful. The only thing that i hate about it is the white counter tops (which im going to deal with for now) and the white ceramic tile backsplash that has small fruit baskets on some tiles. Its awful to look at and want to change it. Am I able to paint right over the tiles with the color of my choice? Is it that easy to fix?

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 1:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i think that might be a temp. fix. it might start peeling in time or turning colors if its by your sink area. i would peel them awful basket tiles off and replace it with the ones you want.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• It is a good temp fix, but as it ages you can tell it was painted. The house we live in had brown mosaic tiles on the backsplash. How do we know? The people who lived here before us painted over them with white acrylic paint. It has held up fairly well, and is such a pain to remove we decided to scrap that idea, even though I HATE the way it looks- you can see brush strokes in it- blyech. You can, if the original tiles are in good shape, tile over the existing stuff. You just have to use "keralastic-kerabond" to facilitate proper bonding of the new tile- I subcontract as an estimator with a tile store and there are a lot of people who are wanting to re-tile, but not go through the hassle of removing old tile and repairing any wall damage, etc. I would like to eventually do that with our backsplash- I just have to figure out how to deal with the level change as part of the tiling ends in open wall lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You could also chisel out the individual tiles, repair any damage to the wall, and put matching white ones in, or any color you wanted, or glass or stone mosaic pieces- buy a few sheets of a fun mosaic tile, cut squares to fit, and put them where the baskets used to be. Voila- instant custom backsplash!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with preachers kid. If you cant match the existing tile, you could replace the basket tile with just a simple solid colored tile of you choice.

I hate ALL of our tile backsplash....its old and i just hate tile.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• There's another thing you can do if you don't want to replace the tile yet: buy tile decals in a pattern you do like, and put them on top. If you google tile decals, you'll find them for sale.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2010