What do you do if you're 100% against induction, but you're 42 weeks and there's no sign of a baby coming?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well it's not gonna stay in there forever...you'll just have to wait if you're really against induction....try sex, long walks, and spicy food to start up labor
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You be very careful and have meetings with your doc constantly to ensure that the baby is still healthy, and if not, you need to revise your views because sometimes inductions are MEDICALLY necessary. No one can say that no woman ever lost a baby (or her own life) due to complications around childbirth.
    Anonymous

• You can walk, take a bumpy car ride or have sex ...of course door #3 is the funnest option! Good Luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Try to induce naturally. But I don't understand why someone would be against it. Had I been against it, my son and I would both be dead. As it turns out my body does not naturally make the proper amounts of hormones to put me in active labor. So I was at 42.5 weeks, my water broke and I never started labor - induction is better than a c-section or death...

I agree that induction shouldn't be done simply because mom is tired of being pregnant or before at least 42 weeks. But if you're like me, you won't know it til it's to late to do anything else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I was over 42 weeks when I had my first baby. Don't let yourself go without induction to much more or you could end up like me, I was hospitalized for over a week on ivs with an infection, my placenta was not good by that point - do you know when you conceived? I knew when I did. If testing shows baby is of good weight and good health, if I had to do it over again I would have pushed for induction close to forty two weeks instead of being over two and a half weeks past due and ending up sick like I was.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• alos your risking your babys life. the placenta isnt meant to supstain him forever. get induced. your doing it because its neccary not becuase your too tired of being pregnant
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 2:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• unless you KNOW the date of conception, you can not be certain that you are in fact 42 weeks.

Case and point. When I was pregnant with my DD, I knew the date of conception, yet they claimed I was 3 weeks ahead of where I was. Technically on the books I was 9 days over due, but in reality I had my dd @ 38 weeks... I KNEW when she was conceived, but had an OB that swore otherwise... *sigh*

As long as your little one is doing well, and you do not have any TRUE medical issues, don't sweat it.

Take LONG walks, stay hydrated, start cleaning house... scrub the floors, sweep, clean out the pantry- you would be surprised just how much a little activity can do!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I didnt think they let you go over 42 weeks??
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 2:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Here is something I found. The link is where I found it.

After 42 weeks, concerns start to rise about possible complications with the baby. Most notably, there is a slightly increased risk of stillbirth (about 1 in 1,000 babies). But evidence suggests that inducing labor can help reduce this risk.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/labor_inducing_labor.html
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I was almost at 42 weeks with my oldest and was told I would be induced if I didn't have him by the next Monday which would be 42 weeks. I went into labor that Saturday. I have gone into labor with my last 2 but got the pitocin because my labor wasn't progressing. I would rather be induced than have a risk to my baby.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2010