How do you discipline a 15 month old child when spanking and timeouts are futile?

It seems like parents with young toddlers are just supposed to sit and twiddle their thumbs until their kids are of a certain age to start discipline. Redirection doesn't work for us, we've been doing it for six months now and it just is almost laughable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• A short time-out in the play pen or crib would be effective...if not for the child, at least for you!
    Anonymous

• So you are saying you can't out think a 15 month old child? Of course they think things are laughable, they are little children. Play is their job. Laughing is a wonderful thing. What exactly is it that you want the child to stop doing? Maybe we could be more helpful. How hard is it to keep things up that you don't want the child in to and just let the child be a little child? Is she not doing her algebra homework or what?
    Anonymous

• Have you tried playing on his/her emotions? It's a last resort for me, but if nothing else works, I will make my child think that they have made me very sad or hurt my feelings. It gets their attention.
    Anonymous

• A short time in the playpen makes them scream and get on your nerves worse. Maybe the child is feeding off your negative energy. Maybe the child wants playtime with another child. Kids get bored with adults and all their stupid rules.
    Anonymous

• "A short time in the playpen makes them scream and get on your nerves worse. "

Yeah, I guess if you sit right there with them. I close the door, walk away and take a breather. That can make all the difference.
    Also, "stupid rules?" Do you consider your rules for your children stupid? I don't know about you, but my rules are for keeping my child safe and helping them grow into civil human beings.
    Anonymous

• All I need to do is give my 20th old daughter the look and tell her no, she'll walk away from it.
    Anonymous

• You don't discipline.....

My 2 year old has never been disciplined. Most things kids do are exploration and should be left to it....the only time I have had to shout at my son is when he was in danger.

Keep telling them no for everything they will ignore you.
    Anonymous

• I suggest you read everything by John and maybe educate yourself on children.

Discipline is totally unnecessary for any child.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You shouldn't be spanking 15 month olds. Shame on you!
    Anonymous

• spanking and timeouts can and are effective, you just need to do it right. Consistancy, plan, purpose are all part of dicipline. Even 15 mo can have rules. Make a list of rules ( for you obviously, and what their consiquences are. At this point you need to make a commitment to follow through with the same form of discipline everyday. With some kids you'll see changes within a week or two, for othes it can take up to a month. it really depends on their will and how long the issues have been growing. Each child is different, my 5 yr old has allways been easy to reason with, my 4 yr old requires little dicipline, my third is great about most thigns, but she has a few areas were she is really strong willed and stubborn, and my youngest is a daredevil and while he listens on day to day things, when it comes to his natural desire to explore... we have to have strict boundries. Each child is different.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2010