Diet during pregnancy?

And by diet, I don't mean the kind people use to try to lose weight. I mean what does your diet consist of? What would you say you eat on a daily basis to keep yourself healthy and at your full potential? What kind of foods help you feel the best?

I'm wanting to have this pregnancy be healthy, and I've been trying to change my eating habits. I've never been a really junky eater and I'm not overweight, but I don't eat the best either. In fact, I tend to forget to eat. So I'm trying to change that for my health, and the health of the little fetus inside me.

So, what is your daily meal plan like? What are your favorite "superfoods"? I'm all ears and open for suggestions! Suggestions on exercises are welcome too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's very hard to change habits when it comes to eating. I still haven't been able to.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Go to google and type in superfoods. Go to different websites and look at the foods they have listed. These are the kinds of foods you should be eating. They are high in nutrition and usually not that high in calories.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Turkey, berries, and dark leafy greens are my favorite superfoods. While I was pregnant with both of my kiddos every day for lunch I'd eat a large salad (about 1 prewashed bag) that consisted of chopped turkey, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and a low fat honey mustard dressing. My favorite sweet treat was a big bowl of strawberries and blueberries. It's funny, I'm not a great eater when not pregnant, but when I have a bun in the oven I am a rock star eater. I tend to stay away from processed foods and eat more fruit and veggies. Baby carrots are a great snack, too. Just throw a handful in a snack baggie and carry it with you all day.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We buy our produce from a CSA every week so I get a mixed bag of fruits and veggies that are all organic and seasonal and local. I eat whatever is in there. I probably eat about 2 lbs of fresh produce every day.

We eat rice and quinoa, very little wheat/ gluten. Lean meats 2x weekly. I eat a ton of beans and lentils. Limit dairy to living yogurt and goat cheese. In the beginning of my pregnancy I ate a lot of almonds.

Just stop eating out of boxes and cans. Cook everything from fresh. Dried fruit and nuts and fresh fruit and veggie slices should always be prepped in the fridge so you can grab and munch.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I can do some of that, ecodani, but some aren't as possible. I live in a very rural area and sometimes we get snowed out and delivery trucks don't make it with the fresh fruit and veggies, but I do my best. And as for the dairy, I can't eat yogurt. Ever since I got pregnant it makes me gag and throw up. I don't know why. Something about the texture. And I'll have to look and see if our local store has any goat cheese. I haven't had any in years, and I don't know if they carry it. I'm more than an hour away from the next nearest store, and gas prices are horrendous.
    Anonymous