Here is the comforter I like, BUT

it is not a zip-up duvet cover.
I hope to buy a down bedding cover and want to protect it in a duvet.
My question is- I was thinking of trying to sew something like this. It says "smocked"- How do you do this??
http://www.target.com/dp/B002PPHGIC

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 3:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Well, smocking is a kind of pleating technique that can be done by hand or with a pleater. I don't really see smocking on that bedspread. It does seem to be gathered or pulled toward each of the buttons. I'm not exactly sure how you would do that, it does have a nice affect though. Good luck! You might type in smocking techniques on google, and see what comes up......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with the pp, don't really see that as smocked LOL silly manufacturer
    Basically you make a really big rectangle, bigger than what you need, and equally pull it in and attach the buttons to hold it in place.
    big pain in the butt.
    plus store bought fabric, you won't find it in the width you need to make this yourself.
    Anonymous

• THANKS SO MUCH! Good points. Do you think I could get the comforter and some other fabric to add as a backing onto it then put my down comforter inside? or just use the down underneath this?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010