Is your house your teens' hangout with their friends?

What do they do? Do you have a basketball court, weight sets? IDK I'm trying to think of ideas for my son and his friends. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My kids and their friends hang out here a lot. At our last duty station, the downstairs family room was sort of their hang out, but we live overseas now and we don't have a very big house (like 1400 sq feet or something like that, I can't remember exactly).

They still hang out here. A lot of it is because 1) we let them, 2) while we supervise them we also let them just "be teens". So, I don't mind if they play guitar hero in the living room or watch some dumb teen movie. I'll just sit at the table and mess around on my laptop (lol - hence a lot of the time on cafemom...). 3) Our kids and their friends are comfortable talking to us (like my friends ds, who has talked to me about his parents' divorce - they know we talk, btw...) 4) LOL - probably the biggest thing - we feed them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• good ideas! can i hang at your house too?

pool table or other game table...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My son is now 22, but during highschool all his friends would come over to jam with him, (he plays the drums), play pool or just jam and record their tunes. Now that he has graduated from FSU and came back home, his same set of friends plus new ones come over, for the same. Our house is pretty big, about 5,000 sq ft to roam around in, after a night with his many friends, I get up the next day to find everything used for this party put back in it's place and my house is as clean as it was before. They pick up after themselves, they are awesome young men and women. I like the fact they pick my house, they playbeer pong, and if anyone goes over the limit, they are alowed to stay rather than drive drunk.
    It feels good to know my son is safe in his house with his friends, for now anyway.

Answer by older at 4:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Nope. It's way too small and I am absolutely NOT the baby sitter for a bunch of teens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• cont

Seriously though, I think it's because they know it's a place where they can hang out and have fun, joke around, tease each other in a good humored way, etc, but at the same time, it's a safe place, where they aren't going to be bashed or picked on, or where they can talk about stuff, etc - that we expect respect, but that we give it, to, in a non "stuffy" sort of way.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My son's did a lot, they'd play sega mostly, although some of them liked to watch the older movies we had. The black and white ones. They were a good group of kids, some would say I was wrong for not getting upset when they were smoking in the backyard, but I wasn't their mother. They were also old enough to make their own choices. I also knew that things at home weren't the greatest for some of them, one girl used to come and hang out even when my son wasn't home. She said having someplace safe to go where she was welcome was one of the things that kept her from either running away or killing herself when things got bad at home.

daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Yep. All it seems to take around here is a willing mom and a fridge full of food and drinks.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Our house is the house where all the kids play. We have horses the girls like to ride when the weather is good. We have a professional sized trampoline outside and we have a music room with drum sets, keyboards, guitars and amps. We have boys here during the week either playing or rehearsing music, lifting weights or playing the WII.
    This week I have 6 kids at my house for 8 days. It's killin me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2010