Please help and NO bashing....Im trying!!

I need to nkow how to get my daughter off the bottle at night. She is 18 months and is TOTALLY dependent on it to go to sleep. I have tried the watered down method, just giving her a binki....etc...I would like suggestions other than CIO. I will not do that. thanks so much and help not criticism is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the way i did it was cut her off period she screamed for a week but i cut it off
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Take it away. If you think CIO will harm her, it's going to harm her much more when all her baby teeth have to be filled because they all have cavities.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• you are either going to keep giving in, or shes going to cry. there is really no other way around it. what you can try is giving her a sippy cup instead of a bottle, and put water in the sippy instead of milk.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• For one thing... how watered down did you do it? If you want to go that route then I'd suggest you change it one ounce at a time and change it over several weeks instead of all at once. Something else you might try is to get her a lovey of some other sort (always give her the same animal to sleep with EVERY time) that way when the bottle goes away she still has a comfort item.
    Anonymous

• my girls I gave them empty bottles and let them cry it out. You have to let them work it out on their own.
    My son, I told him bottles were for babies and he decided on his own he didn't want it anymore///the "it's for babies" speech didn't work on the girls
    Anonymous

• I would put water in it.. course then she might get a habbit of always needing water to sleep but that is better then milk...
    Anonymous

• You're right to not want her to cry. It's cruel. She sees her bottle as a comfort item. I would simply add warm water to it. She will probably get bored with the water and stopped requesting it. There's no rush. The average for children wean from the bottle is 2.5 years old. Look on the AAP website if you don't believe me.

My 20 month old likes a bottle before bed, but I don't think she dependent on it. Her teeth aren't filled with cavities either.
    Anonymous

• I am not against them having a bottle at that age at all, have you tried just puting water in it instead of milk? I wouldnt use CIO but i also wouldnt force the issue, when they are ready they will stop taking the bottle at night. My son is 2,5 and took a bottle with water to bed until he was over 2, water wont cause tooth decay so it should be fine.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• When we were nightweaning our son, who was breastfed, I just held him while he cried. It broke my heart, and it took a lot of loss of sleep on my part, but we managed it. We still keep a water bottle handy in the corner of the crib, because he does get thirsty before he goes to bed, and in the middle of the night. It's not easy, but we're not IO parents either. I don't think there's a no-crying way to make it happen, ultimately, but there's a big difference between abandoning a screaming baby in their crib and holding them and trying to comfort them and letting them know you're still there, but we need to find a new way to be comforted to sleep.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would say trying to switch to a sippy cup that is similar to a bottle then later to nothing after finding him a new comfort item. Try letting him pick out a new stuffed animal. My daughter is two and still wants something to drink once in awhile especially after a stressful day. But we broke her of the bottle at 10 months along with formula. She has been early at everything but talking. She really didn't cry for the bottle but she did go through a phase of screaming when still in the crib.
    countrymama6608

Answer by countrymama6608 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010