Making a cake--questions about substitutions (Please help me!)

The cake calls for whole-wheat flour. Can I use all-purpose flour instead? It also calls for wheat germ, can I (or do I still need to) use this with the all purpose flour? Also, it calls for 2-4 oz of soymilk, can I substitute breastmilk or even cow milk in place of this? Any help would be super appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Breastmilk?????????? In a cake?
    I wonder why no one responded...
    Anonymous

• What I would do is to search for another recipe entirely. The recipe that you have is for a healthier cake. It sounds as if you want a standard recipe. What flavor is the cake? I have tons of recipes that I can share if I have an idea what you are looking for. I would use cow's milk. I have never heard of breast milk in a cake. LOL.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Anon-not that's it anyone's business but it's for my son's smash cake for his first birthday, he'll be the only one eating it--why should I waste the money on milk when I can use mine for free?
    Anonymous

• Nikki-Thanks. I'm wanting as healthy of a cake as possible--but with not so much wheat in it--also no sugar or artificial sweeteners.
    Anonymous

• Whole wheat flour and wheat germ will make the cake a little denser than all purpose flour. But you can use all purpose flour and use the same measurement.

I'd add in the breast milk (perfectly normal to cook with it for your baby) in slowly. The flour may soak it up faster than the wheat germ would. You may want to use about 1/4 less than the recipe calls for. I'd have to see the whole recipe to know for sure.

Really simple cake recipe that you can use any flour for: 1 cup butter, 1 cup milk, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, 4 eggs

You can sub 2 ripe bananas for the eggs if you aren't feeding eggs yet.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• u can also use unsweetened apple sauce in place of the eggs also. but if i were you i would see about using a mix of wheat and white flour..
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies, I appreciate your helpfulness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2010