We live with a smoker..how can I "smoke-proof" our bedrooms as much as possible?

I want to make sure my daughter has clean air in her bedroom where she sleeps and that her clothes don't stink. What are some tricks to clean and smoke proof things in a smokers house. We have nowhere else to go.

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If she is living in the smoker's home she can't make the rules ladies. I'd buy a room ionizer and keep the door shut to the bedroom. Walking through the house, her clothes are going to smell like smoke so febreeze her when you get outside away from the smoke.
    Anonymous

• i dont think you can completly smoke proof a home if someone smokes inside..i mean the baby isnt going to be in the bedroom the whole day and night right? she'll always be exposed to it.:( however you can buy an air purifier.the're expensive but if you want your baby to not deal with the nasty smell of cig smoke its worth it. you cant ask the smoker to smoke outside.?
    Anonymous

• Make the smoker smoke out side. Or buy filter system.

Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Have the smoker smoke outside only, not in the house. use an air purifier and spray furniture and curtains with febreeze.
    Anonymous

• Don't allow the smoker to smoke IN the house at all.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Get an air purifer. Febreeze her clothes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• The only way to completely prevent the smoke from getting into her bedroom would be to install a filter & negative air pressure system, which would both clean the air in her room and prevent any outside air from getting in. However, this would be expensive. Instead you could just get a really, really, really good air cleaner for the bedroom and, if the smoker is okay with it and you can afford it, another air cleaner for the rest of the house. Febreeze-ing her clothes may help some with the smell, but if you are living in it, not only will your clothes smell, but so will your hair & skin. Febreeze will only go so far.
    Anonymous

• Don't let him smoke in the house at all. You can try a clean air machine in her room, but it won't stop her clothes from smelling like cigarette smoke. If he is smoking in the house, EVERYTHING will smell like smoke.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• i'm so sorry, i would do my very best to have a smoke-free home. my son has a history of RSV and our pediatricians have always said that no one can even smoke in the bathroom with the window open. this was after they asked us if any one in the home smokes, and i said well my MIL smokes but when she comes over, she smokes outside.

hopefully whoever it is you live with will care about the baby enough that if you explain to them, they will smoke outside.

good luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2010