How do you respond to full blown temper tantrums?

My 14 month old is going through a horrible stage where she screams and cries and whines whenever possible. She throws herself on the floor and kicks her legs. I'm at my wits' end, I don't know what to do anymore. We can't even leave the house because she embarrasses us and annoys other people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We used to just walk away and let him go thru it alone. Usually when they notice no one's watching,they simmer down.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• yup, ignore bad behavior and they will stop
    Anonymous

• Do this. She starts having a fit. Just turn your back on her. Do not go to far, but just stop paying attention to her.

Answer by louise2 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• We just started ignoring our daughter when she was having a fit. They do it so you will pay attention to them and give them what they want. Tell her "That is mean" and walk away, then later when she is being nice shower her with hugs kisses and compliments about how much "Mommy loves it when her baby is so nice to her!" That is toddler language. They learn what gets them attention and can understand mean and nice. My daughter can say them and she is 16 months old. She even tells us if we yell or something "No Mommy, mean!" or when we give her a hug and a cookie "Nice Mommy." They learn.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I calmly tell my son "Take it to your room and let me know when you're finished." He gets angry and realizes that I am not going to give in to him.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I always just ignored it. If she started to throw any kind of a fit, I'd ensure there was nothing around she could hurt herself on, then just ignore her. She learned really quickly that tantrums don't work, and she gave up on them really quick.
    Anonymous