What do I need to be teaching My daughter she is 6 1/2 months?

I feel like all she does, is eat, sleep, poop and pee, and play with her books, and all the fun toys that she has, She does see family and friends a lot at least 3 times a week. Is that enough interacting with others? Or do I need to be reading to her every night for at least a hour or 2 on top of everything else? My Mother seems to think she may not be stimulated enough although I think way different and am always with her. Which toys and words should I be teaching her?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 4:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You shouldn't be "teaching" her anything. This is the time for discovery on her own. You can give her the tools to work it out, but you can't actually TEACH an infant. If your child is sitting up on her own, start giving her things she can stack (blocks, etc) and things she can nest together (like different sized measuring cups), but don't try to force her into doing anything. And I'm sorry, but my 3 year old doesn't have enough of an attention span to read more than one or two doctor Seuss books, so a 6 month old could really care less if you start reading for an hour or two. She'll just ignore you after a short story, two at the most. Not saying you shouldn't read to your child, but you're not going to get her reading by two or anything (not that it would be good for her brain to be doing that anyway).

And don't forget that you can OVER stimulate an infant and make her cranky and unhappy.
    Anonymous

• Haha true, thank you for all the advice, I know that's true and that's why I haven't been reading a lot too her, I want her to be happy. And like you said I can read to her, and she will just grab the book out of My Hand and chew on it, and throw it and then laugh LOl
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 5:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010