Questions re: homeschooling

I am going to have my son homeschooled. He is in grade k. I wanted information and any advice on the best books and programs that will benefit him the most. Do you have any reccomends?

SwePea

Asked by SwePea at 5:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Contact your local School District's Board of Education. They have an office where you sign up as a homeschooling parent. They can guide you to resources and other homeschooling parents in your area. They can also tell you what other homeschooler's use since homeschooling parents have to tell them what materials they will be using.
    Anonymous

• Check your state requirements first. In some states you don't even need to contact the school district until 1st grade or whatever age is required. And sometimes you notify the state department of public instruction and they notify the district. I wouldn't go straight to the district unless you are instucted to do so. I also wouldn't have them tell you what resources to use. Check out homeschool groups in your area or look online. And NO homeschool parents do not have to discuss what materials they will be using.
    Anonymous

• You do NOT necessarily have to contact your school's board of education, tell them what materials you're using, or sign up as a homeschooling parent. What you DO need to do first of all is find out from your state's Dept of Education what your state's laws are for homeschoolers. Go to http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp and they'll have the laws for each state.

Once you know what's required, you can progress from there. There are many homeschooling groups here on CM that offer plenty of help and support!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• There are *SO* many different types of homeschoolers and methods of homeschooling, it would be impossible to give you suggestions unless I knew a lot more about you, your child, your child's learning style, your beliefs about educations, etc. In my opinion, the books and resources that will benefit your son most are the ones that *HE* has the most interest in. I am a big believer in following your child's lead and tailoring your homeschooling to your child's interests. I would suggest you join a couple of the homeschooling groups here on CM to start learning about the different styles and methods. I would also reccomend that you do some research and contact other homeschoolers in your area to learn more about the laws in your state, the different types of homeschooling, etc. Every state is different.

jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2010