Pooping on the potty

I have a 2 1/2 year old boy. He's doing good with the potty for the most part, he rarely pee's in his "big boy" underwear. But he won't poop on the potty, its always in his underwear. I'm not sure if he's scared to poop on the potty or if he doesn't realize when he has to poop or if he just doesn't understand that going on the potty means you pee and poop even though i've explained it to him. Any suggestions would help greatly. Thanks Mom's!!

miya07

Asked by miya07 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was the SAME way. I don't want to scare you, but he was 4 before he started doing it on a regular basis. It is hard, but there is nothing you can do force him to do it. Just be patient, although it is hard, and let him do it on his own time. He could be afraid of it, my DS was afraid for a while, but he got over it. I have a couple of friends who spanked their kids to get them to use the potty. I refused to do this, and now he has no problem. Good luck, and give it time.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• LOL, my dd is sitting on the potty right now. She hasn't pooped on it yet, but I'm trying to get her to. She told me she is scared to poop on it. I just keep encouraging her and letting her know that it's okay to poop on it and that's where it goes. She also rarely pees in her underwear. I'm just going to continue encouraging her, I also told her she'll get a piece of candy when she poops on the potty chair. Good luck!
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 6:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I think with my little guy it was a combo of scared and stubborn. Unfortunately it HAS to be up to them. We're going on 2 months with no poop accidents now! Here's a few things I did! I would act sad and disappointed when he would have an accident in his underwear, but never bad because I didn't want him to asscociate me being mad with pooping. I also just started being plain silly about it. When he would have an accident we'd dump it in the potty and tell him the poop wanted to be in the water. My friend told me she told her little guy the poop needed to go down the toilet to see it's mom and dad, so I told my son that too. We'd wave bye to it and say "go see your mom and dad!"

When he finally did agree to sit on the potty and go once I made it fun. I told him he was a big boy and sang and danced about him going poop. I also made a big deal about the poop going "plop" and he thought that was hilarious!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• *that's suppposed to say never MAD up there, not never bad.....*

Anyway, I found that humor and plain silliness seems to have worked the best. As dumb as you'll feel it works!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010