My muscles in my lower back are so tight what can I do?

It hurts to sleep, stand, walk. It's been 4 days and i'm in a lot of pain. What can I do to loosen it up?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Health

• See if you can get someone to massage it. Try a hot shower before bed and lay on your back with something under your knees. That will shorten the tendons in your thighs and take the stress off your back. Sleep that way if possible.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Have you tried just soaking in a hot bath?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• heating pad
    hot bath
    masage
    lay on your stomach and prop yourself up on your elbows for 5-10 minutes
    stand up, put your arms on your lower stomach, stretch back arching your back until you feel your stomach muscles tighten, do this a few times, repeat every few hours
    lay on your stomach and lift your legs, one at a time, without bending them just until your knees are off of the floor or bed, repeat about 10 times
    lay on your back on the floor with your feet and legs resting on a couch or chair
    get on your knees, keep your head down so you're looking at the floor, stretch out your left arm and right leg at the same time, do this about 5 times, then switch arms and legs

good luck. those are a few of the things i have to do daily because i have a herniated disk in my back and the pain can be excruciating. hope your back feels better soon. take care hon. ;)
    Anonymous

• oh and also walk, walk, walk.
    Anonymous

• Try alternating heat and cold.....and then call a Chiropractor in the morning. You may also want to consider a new mattress, or perhaps a memory foam topper.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2010