Does anyone know a person that did crack, smoked pot and drank heavily in the first 12 weeks who still had a healthy baby?

YES this is a real question. NO I'm not the one who did it.

My cousin just found out she's pregnant. She was going to have an abortion but decided to have the baby and give it up for adoption to a couple in our family who have not been able to have children.

The thing is she did crack several times, smoked pot almost daily, and drank HEAVILY (12-20 shots in one night...seriously I don't know how she isn't dead) in last few weeks.

I'm really worried about the baby. She's supposed to check into a rehab center tomorrow morning so she can get clean and have a healthy pregnancy from here on out but I'm worried the damage is already done.

Does anyone know anyone or did you do this yourself and your baby came out healthy?

Are there test they can preform to see if the baby will have problems so the family can be prepared for the issues?

Any advise would be great! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• One of my friends smoked pot, did coke, and drunk. Her baby came out fine...If there is something wrong with the brain the doctor will know when they start doing ultrasounds. Just tell her to 100% honest with the doctors. I really hope nothing is wrong with the baby.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My ex-husband's sister didn't know she was pregnant and she smoked, drank, and did drugs all during the pregnancy. She didn't figure out she was pregnant until about 2 weeks before she had the baby.

Here is the next stupid thing she did. They lived in Indianapolis and she had Medicaid and could go to any hospital. She goes into labor 2 months early and she goes to this little hospital in another county because that was where she was born. There were problems during delivery and he had to be airlifted to the Indianapolis hospital she should have gone to.

So he was premature, he had learning problems, didn't graduate high school, has had problems with the law, can't keep a job, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• i have a friend that did that and got drunk every night and did meth and every drug you can name and is a pill popper and her baby come out with with draws but is healthy

it really be either way cant really tell there storys where they didnt come out healthy and then theres the storys where they come out fine
    Anonymous

• Doctor's can't tell by ultrasounds all the things that could be wrong.

Smoking cigarettes is actually worse than crack. People don't realize how harmful smoking is. I was born in the 1950s when almost all women smoked and drank during pregnancy. Doctors thought it would be too stressful to quit smoking and alcohol was relaxing. My mother smoked and drank. If drugs were available she would have done them. I don't know.

You can tell fetal alcohol syndrome when the baby is born. The baby could have other birth defects hat are obvious. The baby could not develop right and need therapy. Damage is already done. The first few weeks are the most important. She may want to consider an abortion.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My aunt never stopped her harmful activities while pregnant. One son is totally normal and the other has learning delays. Both are very sweet and i am convinced that if the one with delays had been properly cared for... he would be doing much better than he is. He graduated high school and has a job...so he is capable of learining. There is not way to tell the extent of the damage, but it does happen that a baby would be normal. Or he/she may not be. In either event, I hope the family will still take the baby. And I hope she is able to get clean.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I can't relate to the illicit drug use and alcohol consumption, but I was on a cocktail of heavy-duty psych meds until I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks. I was taken off all of my meds, and my daughter was born healthy and normal.

Most likely, she will be considered a "high risk pregnancy", and she will be monitored closely (lots of ultrasounds!).

Don't worry-if she is serious about her prenantal care, her doctor will assign a social worker to check up on her regularly. She will also have a public health nurse that will visit a few times during the pregnancy, and a few times after giving birth. They offer a lot of support.

Anonymous

• My mom..with both children...we are fine..for the most part lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My cousin smoked pot and drank and occasionally did pills. Her son has facial abnormalities and is developmentally delayed.
    Anonymous

• My half sister smoked, ,drank and did coke for about the first 3 months. She now has a beautiful 3 year old who is being raised by grandma and has emotional issues, but that has nothing to do with what mom did while pregnant. She is very bright. Yes it can cause problems, but if she cleans up now the baby has a pretty good chance of being fine.
    Anonymous

• A girl I went to high school with, drank, smoked pot, and did cocaine for the majority of her pregnancy. The morning after a night of heaving partying, she went in for a routine dr.'s appointment...she was like 37 or 38 weeks I believe. Her baby's heart rate was so low and erratic that the dr. thought they were going to lose the baby right then and there. They took her in for an emergency c-section. Her baby girl was in the hospital for 4 months on a feeding tube and oxygen. She also had a brace on her leg. She is now 2, can't hold her own head up or even sit on her own. She has been in and out of the hospital over a dozen times for seizures and pnemonia. She's also been on and off feeding tubes and she sleeps anywhere between 17-20 hours a day. Dr.'s still aren't 100% sure what is wrong with her. The sad thing is, that this girl completely denies that anything is wrong with her daughter and tells everyone that she's cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010